• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

help new reef tank

my tank was a salt fish tank i switched it over to a reef tank, 90 gallons 216 watts of t5 refugium super skimmer 50 lbs of live rock just put in four pieces of soft coral. the rocks turned dark brown lights are on for 12 hr a day help first tank please be gentle

sounds like a diatom bloom. Very normal for a new reef tank. Keep monitoring your water parameters and continue cycling.

Welcome to NJRC.

lol, you actually took my advice. See? We be helpful here.

Your tank is cycling, and it's normal. After the 7th or 8th week or so, you can start testing for nitrates, and maybe even do a 5 to 10% water change, and all that brown stuff will subside.

Any one have any more advice?

im unfamiliar with the wolf eel but its more then likely not "reef safe"

also since your adding corals you prob. want to test for alk, cal, mag

i personally would add anything else until the algae bloom disapears.

except maybe a viriety of snails

about the wolf eel... most fish you may want in your reef are not large aggressive fish, they are small little fish which i am sure are quite tasty looking to an eel. my advise, take the eel out before your infrastructure becomes to complicated. moving rocks is easier than moving rocks and corals.... j.m.o.

Welcome aboard. Become a member is great advice, also just be patient.

We will have some group buys early next year if you are a member so that should be helpful if you take your time.

James

aquamen13- where's the tank pic?!?!

I mean aquamen72 (typo, lol)

Tom, I take pics on manual mode, 125 shutter, lowest f possible, I try not to zoom with the lens, it makes the fstop higher, thus making the pic darker.