• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help with my overflow!!

I am setting up a 90 with an internal overflow for the first time and could use some help. The tank is drilled with 2 holes. One is for 1 1/2" PVC and one is 1" PVC. I'm assuming that the 1 1/2" is the out. If this is indeed for going out to my sump, how high should I keep the water in the overflow box? I see some overflows that have very little water in them and others with a length of PVC to keep the water much higher? Then once that's done, how am I gonna pipe the return? Do I pipe it out and over the top of the overflow box? Please help... I would appreciate any advice you can give me... Thanks, Ev

usually the overflow box puts it the water to the top of the durso's and the 1" would end up being your return. if you wanted more returns you can either drill or will have to go up and over the tank. you could look into closed loop systems etc.

basically you have a feed from DT to sump the 1 1/2"
return from sump to DT via the 1"

to add more than one return you either drill or go up and over. just look at people's tanks on here for examples of different methods you can do it.

You want the water higher in the overflow otherwise you get a waterfall sound. Real annoying. Your overflow wall should have a u-notch up top for your return to go through it. Stick the 1"pipe with some locline fittings on it in the 1" return bulkhead, the locline will sit in the u-notch up top

The higher the water level is in the overflow box the quieter it is. You can use a Durso standpipe to raise the water level in the overflow box.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-diy

The 1" hole can be used for another drain line to the sump or a supply line from the sump into the display tank (DT). If you use the 1" hole for the supply you can tee it off and get outlets for the return. Or you can go over the top edge of the tank which will give more options for locating the returns.

This is an example of plumbing over the top edge:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/files/4/7/6/9/fish_tank_004.jpg

This site is AWESOME! Thank you guys for all your help. I'll be piping the tank this weekend with sometype of dursopipe and the return will come through the box and over the side of the tank. I have a nice canopy to cover it and should be fine. Thanks Again!!!

I agree Durso pipe is the way to go. The Durso has a hole in the top of it, and depending on how you restrict that opening will determine the height of the water in the overflow. What's been said is true, the lower the water level, the more noise you will hear. The tank is already drilled for drain and return as my 180g is. What I did was use both holes as a drain. I tee'd the two line together to a common drain line. For the return, brought the piping over the top edge of the tank into some locline fittings. Remember to drill your return pipe with two 1/8" holes just under the water surface. This will prevent back siphoning of your tank back to your sump and causing a potential overflow of your sump.