• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help with the ick!

I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

new to saltwater tank 2 months in.
background info: bought 6 month old used SW tank
moved 15Gallon tank over to 30gallon long tank
50+ hours of doing research on everything
so i know my equipment isn't the best but i'm

current equipment:
30 gallon tank got used from a friend
jbj lights 65w
coral light 65w and a 65w i guess considered a moon light?
marineland 55gal filter (houses older bacteria from previous 15gal)
red sea dlx skimmer (i guess you can say decent)
jbj 7w submariner uv sterilizer (recently installed)
2 aquaclear 20 powerheads (1 from previous tank)
150w heater (stays at 80f)

future:
**will setup a HOB refugium** i have a ghetto stand so don't ask why i don't have a refugium/sump just yet
absolutely no space under the tank and i don't understand the extreme concepts of plumbing just yet

NOW TO THE PROBLEM: ICK

I separated all the fish into the Hospital tank treated with Copperamine
no fish in the DT (inverts and clean up crew still there)

Q) can the cleanup crew get ICk? *i don't want to return the fish in there and possibility still has ick.
Q2) wait time is approximately 2-3 weeks?
Q3) any additional info is helpful!!!??

Display should run fallow 4-6 weeks for ich to be considered safely gone. Copper treatment should last 2 weeks (assuming you are checking the copper levels daily to make sure it's still correct)

thanks for the info. i will wait 4-6 weeks before putting the fish back into the DT! thanks for all the information! that link was LONG. sorry skimmed through most but very informative.

evo,

I just noticed that you have a UV in your main tank. Supposedly, this does kill the ich parasite when it is free swimming. As you have no fish hosts, it is possible you can move fish back in sooner. I would stick with 2 weeks copper for the fish. Then leave display fishless for 4-6 weeks. Increase temp slightly to accelerate the ich life cycle if desired.

Raising temp doesn't kill them. It speeds up their life cycle so you can treat for less time. However, oxygen level will be lower and fish metabolism will be higher. Raising temp is a good idea to help accelerate the treatment so long as your livestock can tolerate it.