• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help!!!

My new Favia has been receding the last couple of days. The polyps that are dieing off have a white cob web like substance on them. Any ideas what might be causing it and how I can stop the receding?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What's next to the favia? Weblike stuff sounds either like it is sliming or it is being attacked.

The only thing that was remotely close was some yellow polyps, but there was a good 12+ inches between them. I did a water change and moved it from the original spot I placed it and it seems to have stopped receding. I did notice my purple tang picking at it a couple of times, but he seemed to only pick at the areas that were already fading.

Nope, started receding again. I moved again this time under a shelf out of the direct light and am still keeping an eye on it. Out of a nice 6" by 4" piece I have about 2x1 left :(

Everything else in the tank is doing great. It's just the favia I'm having probelms with.

my green favia went through the same thing, it was in a low flow/dim part of the tank and it started slimming I moved it out into the light where there was more flow and it's been fine since, my red one on the other hand started turning white in bright light and likes low flow don't ask me why they are total opposites ??? Try different spots in the tank till you find one it's happy with. That's the best advise I can give, like Phyl said: They can be tough... good luck hope it makes it :)