• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another thing you can do with your drain line is have it end with a 90* elbow right at the water line so that half the fitting is below the surface. This lets the water drain easily and pretty much eliminates the "toilet flushing" effect.

Brian said:
Nickjr000 said:
Evo restricting the pump with a ball valve does not harm it at all. Prob 99% or all of the pumps for aquariums are made to run this way ( restricted ).

Are you sure about that? I've been told it's better to NOT restrict a pump and have any excess diverted back to the sump (at least on pressure rated pumps)

It is preferred NOT to restrict any pump since it is already working against back pressure from the water. Often times we get a pump that's too powerful for what we really need it for and often times may be necessary to throttle it down (within reason), but it's not ideal for longevity of the motor and power consumption.

Brian said:
Nickjr000 said:
Evo restricting the pump with a ball valve does not harm it at all. Prob 99% or all of the pumps for aquariums are made to run this way ( restricted ).

Are you sure about that? I've been told it's better to NOT restrict a pump and have any excess diverted back to the sump (at least on pressure rated pumps)

Yeah im positive

This is from reeflo's site they said it applies to everyone of their pumps. its Under tricks and tips, and in the instructions

4. If your pump is producing too much flow, you can reduce the flow by partially closing a
valve on the discharge line. Never restrict the inlet!!! Surprisingly, this will make the motor work
less and use less electricity!! This “valving back” simply causes the pump to operate further back
on its performance curve.

concept3 said:
Brian said:
Nickjr000 said:

It is preferred NOT to restrict any pump since it is already working against back pressure from the water. Often times we get a pump that's too powerful for what we really need it for and often times may be necessary to throttle it down (within reason), but it's not ideal for longevity of the motor and power consumption.

"Ball valves and turning down the flow of the pump - We are big advocates of purchasing the next size up in pumps as you can always turn a pump down but not up. Most pumps do not include a flow control. This is ok. You will use a ball valve to control the flow. This will not harm the pump and in most cases with most of the direct drive pumps it will actually prolong the life as most people have just 5ft of total head height and a lot of these pumps work more efficiently at 10ft of height or greater."

This is for danner-magdrive pumps

Where is everyone seeing that ball valves are basically bad for the pump and have to be teed off? They only create more head and that make the pump use less electric and therefore be more effecient. I've owned tons of pumps for this hobby and for work never once did i see in the instructions that you cant use a ball valve ( and im the type to always read instructions ;D ). But in probably all the instructions the manufacturer says to control flow use a ball valve. And they never say to tee off the excess flow. Use a ball valve and thats your control.

Of course you have to use them with in reason. I would never run a pump with a valve 50% or more closed ( waste of electric ). If this is the case you can prob go the next size down with the pump. Or in this case with a valve closed that much, tee it off and maybe run a skimmer or use to feed a refugium. But i wouldnt tee it off just to dump it back in the sump with no purpose. Only more flow in sump = more micro bubbles getting to dt, more evaporation,

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
i'm with you I've always t'd off the pump back to into the sump but I always run huge pumps. In this case a Mag 9 shouldn't need a t in my opinion. But the suggests that everyone else gave should fix the bubbles.

thank you all for the ideas. i got it straightened out i will take a few photos of it so you all can see what i did. now i just need to figure out how to stop the vibrating noise from the protein skimmer and mag 9.