• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Here's my 210 - huge work in process

Joined NJRC about a week or so ago. My hope is that all of you will help me in my endeavours to have a tank as beautiful as many of yours.

A Little history is in order. Been admiring reef tanks and the hobby from the sidelines for about 18 years. Never felt settled down enough to actually start. About 6 years ago met my wife and figured that should would clearly keep me put for awhile so four years ago started designing a 300g 8 foot tank for our condo. Right before I bought the tank we decided to buy a him and had to rent an apartment while our home was being built. Fortunately the family room in the new house had a perfect place for the tank, but unfortunately it could only be 6ft so I bought that and began my journey. as an aside, recently noticed that a new 265g model is on the market (which would fit) but everytime I dare mention it, I get that stare from the mrs. that says "do it and your dead".

Tank specs:

210 AGA Reef Ready
85 MRC Gallon Sump
MRC 3 Skimmer
3-250 MH 14k's
2-6ft Super Actinics
Custom Stand and Hood
1/2 HP Chiller
2-250 Watt Heaters
Aquacontroller III Pro
approx 250lbs of live rock
approx 150 live sand

Tank is on the first floor in the family room, all equipment is in a dedicated fish room in the basement.

Water Systems:
Main Pump - Reeflo Hammerhead - plumbed via 1.5" Spa Flex to a 1.5" Manifold across the back of the tank with 4-3/4" t's into the tank with loc line (question - has anyone had an issue with the first one or two pieces of loc line being above the water and possible air leaking into the line?). Originally was using an Iwaki 100 but was unhappy with the flow since the water is coming up from the basement.

Drains - because I had the same fight as all with noise out of the drain lines, overflows, etc, I modified the drain system (after weeks of playing around) as follows: all four pre-drilled holes are being used as the drains. The two one inch lines have dursos, the 3/4's drain through the bottom. To force the water level to rise in the overflow boxes, I used two gate valves to reduce the flow. The drain flow is set slightly slower than that of the pump so the durso's begin to handle the excess. Had numerous arguments with folks as all said it was a flood waiting to happen - however, I do not see how that is possible. If the 3/4" drains can completely handle the flow, then if both clogged at the same time, the 1" drains will take over. Next concern was the flow rate - I was concerned that the flow rate was too low so I added a flow meter - the iwaki was running about 850 gallons a hour - not sure with the hammerhead (forget to build in the flow meter on the recent redesign), but imagine it is closer to 1200-1300 maybe more.

Three independent closed loop systems - drilled through back wall 1/2 way up the tank (cycled on/off via aquacontroller).

1 - Koralia 4.

Inhabitants:

1 Chevron Tang
1 Yellow Tang
2 Clowns
1 Bicolor PseudoChromis
1 Yellowtail Damsel (not a very nice tank mate)
1 Flame Angel
3 Clams

In QT downstairs - Sailfin Tang, 1 pink spotted goby, 3 firefish, 1 foxface, 5 pilotfish (I know, I know - never listen to anyone at the fish store without doing your own homework, I understand they get big, very big - not sure what to do with them yet, perhaps give them to someone with a very large FO System).

Various snails and hermits.

Corals - virtually none:

Closed brain - not doing so hot,
Hammer Coral
Various mushrooms.

Sorry it was so long, but had to makeup for the 18 months or so of history.

Hopefully you all will have much to say in the way of criticism (constructive only please:)) and guidance - always welcome.

Have a good holiday weekend.

Michael

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great write up Michael. It sounds like you're well on the way with a nice set up. Good lights, good skimmer, good flow. You should be OK to start adding more corals depending on your parameters. I like your drain concept and agree that you shouldn't have any problem, providing you have room in your sump to hold all of the water volume in your overflow boxes. Other than that, it's a pretty safe design.

Like I said in the other thread, we're here to answer any questions.

BTW, where are you located? You should try to come to one of our monthly parties meetings. They're a blast and are a good source of more information.

Thanks John.

I am in Delran, NJ. I was trying to get to the May meeting, but couldn't make it. Cute trick with the redline (lawyer speak for strike out) in party - not sure how to do that one.

Just tried to upload some pics but the file size was too large. I saw on some threads a reference to a site to re-size files. Can you let me know where that might be?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mcg180 said:
Cute trick with the redline (lawyer speak for strike out) in party - not sure how to do that one.

If you ever see any formating you like, click on "quote" in the post you're interested in and it'll open up a new message box with that post in it. From there you can see the code that sets the format. In this case, use left open bracket "[" then "s" then right close bracket "]" to start the strike through. Enter your text, then use left open bracket "[" then "/s" then right close bracket "]" to end the strike through.

Somewhere on here are the directions for uploading pics. I'll see if I can dig them up and post the link here.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is a link to our FAQ page regarding uploading pics. I upload mine to our own server so I'm not really sure of any other way to it. If the FAQ's don't answer your question, I'm sure someone else can walk you through the process.

th_005.jpg
th_005.jpg
th_002.jpg
th_tank018.jpg

I think this will take me a little to master but I am quick learner, Promise:) Phyl - sure you don't want to deactivate my account? ;)

There is a slight start although I see that I probably resized them too small and copied the same pic twice - oh well. I am not happy with the aquascaping so all that want to have an aquascaping party - let me know, I can supply all the beer, wings and pizza that you could ask for - lol....

here is the pic that got left out - perhaps sized correctly.

th_003.jpg

When on the photobucket page, just click ONCE in the Fourth Line- the one that reads IMG code.

Then just click "paste" here - and post it...

It's actually big...lol
File Name: tank004.jpg
Taken With: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D50
File Size: 276 kb - 1024x681
Taken On: 2008:04:29 19:56:52

tank004.jpg

Great set up.

Definitly trade the pilot fish back to the LFS, some guys will sell you anything for your reef tank!

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Michael,
Your tank looks really good. Try to make it out to some meetings, bring your wife to some meetings and soon she will be making some suggestions for how to better your tank. ;D

Erna

I like that you split the rock up rather than have that 1 giant rock wall that everyone seems to do.

Much more realistic.

Tank looks great.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement.

We will (wife too :)) make it out to future meetings for sure.

I think I need to do a little redesign of the rockwork (at least to open it up a little). The right column is a little too tightly packed.

Spent half of memorial day plumbing in a new 30 gallon fuge, which is not yet totally complete and had my first near major electrical disaster. Knocked a brand new coralife PC unit off a set of brackets and straight into the sump. Shut the whole system down - turns out that even though I had a GFI on that circuit, the Aquacontroller controlled 4 way electrical box burned out - plus wasted the light fixture. Could have been worse I guess :)

ric, I actually designed the stand and canopy and had a local woodworker who I have known for a while make it. Not cheap, but it was the only way the Mrs. would let me put the tank in the family room. Still not sure if she knows how much more it cost than a stock made unit - lol.

Pilotfish are also gone - thank goodness.

Hello all,

It's been a awhile since i have posted on here. Unfortunately, certains events are going to lead me to shut down and sell the tank and the components. If anyone knows of anyone that might be interested in buying the entire set up, please feel free to have them contact me.

Thanks