• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

High School Reefer Madness

When I added the rock, the tank was so overrun with dead matter that I couldn't see across it side to side, but now the tank's water is crystal clear and the foam has been reduced to a little bit in the filter bag in the sump. I'm hoping a skimmer will remove the foam completely, but I don't want the skimmer to slow the cycling process. Am I doing the right thing by adding a skimmer at this point?
Thanks,
SamK

I started added bacteria already. The product at Petco is different than the one I'm using. If I get that one too, can it hurt? I will be adding ammonia this week and it seems that any bacteria at this point is good. Can I have too much bacteria, or does the excess just die for lack of ammonia.?
SamK

I will be getting a skimmer this week. The foam has been reduced already to just a little in the filering bag in the sump. I jope that the skimmer will stop the foaming completely.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to incorporate all the things I'm being told to enhance the cycle process and get the tank moving within a couple of weeks.
Thanks,
SamK

Thanks. You truly are a wealth of valuable information and suggestions. I will print these out and keep the list for the kids to follow as we try to populate the tank. We are getting a skimmer this week and we have been adding bacteria for 4 days so far. Some have suggested to kickstart the cycle by adding household ammonia according to a dosing schedule. Do you think this will help get the tank cycling faster?
Thanks,
SamK

I strated adding microbacter7 daily and 5 drops of ammonia per 10 gal daily. The ammonia is now detectable with the test kit and seems to be about 0.25 as of last test. We will be doing it daily to see if there is a change.

I printed out both of the products and I'm going to the store today to check on availablity. If I have to, I'll order on line.
Thanks,
Sam

Here's an idea I use to help eliminate "dead" spots around over flow chambers and provide some circulation behind and through your rockwork, might be a project for some students who might also have some "shop" classes.

Take some 3" PVC pipe and 2 3" street wye's and glue them end to end, then drill them full of 1" holes. Place the assembly around the overflow chamber and add a PH at one end with the flow directed into the pipe.

Here's some pictures I took a while ago that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Street Wye 2.jpgStreet Wye.jpg

The PH is a 600 gph unit that will provide circulation to those "dead" areas , but isn't so strong that the fish can't swim against it.

Here's an idea I use to help eliminate "dead" spots around over flow chambers and provide some circulation behind and through your rockwork, might be a project for some students who might also have some "shop" classes.

Take some 3" PVC pipe and 2 3" street wye's and glue them end to end, then drill them full of 1" holes. Place the assembly around the overflow chamber and add a PH at one end with the flow directed into the pipe.

Here's some pictures I took a while ago that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 2247View attachment 2248

The PH is a 600 gph unit that will provide circulation to those "dead" areas , but isn't so strong that the fish can't swim against it.

That's a pretty cool idea, I never thought about that. I may have to try this to get into the little nooks I've created in my rockwork instead of redoing my scape for the 5th time :)