• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Holiday Meal Plan

Since I'm having Christmas at our house this year, but only 3 family members are coming, I decided to go a totally different route food-wise than usual. As you all know, I'm from Germany, and have yet to cook a somewhat authentic German meal for my extended family. Well this year I'll give it a shot. Here's what's on my menu (and yes, Alex had to add some "traditional" foods as well in case nobody likes the other stuff :-[)

SAUERBRATEN (I will place the 5 lbs roast in the marinade tomorrow since it's gotta sit in it for 4-5 days)
Spiral Ham

SPECKKNOEDEL (= bacon dumplings)
PIEROGIS (my MIL will make them from scratch over the weekend)

fresh Brussel Sprouts in Hollondaise Sauce
Green Bean Casserole smothered in sauteed onions

Of course there'll be tons of appetizers AND I'll be making a German Strawberry Wine Punch. ;D

What's on everybody else's menu? Please share.

---
Wendy

Considering I'm going to my brother's house, I would imagine it'll be the same as it has been every holiday we attend there, not that I'm complaining although a little mix would be nice. Antipasto, Crab Dip, Shrimp & Lobster Cocktail, Veal Scallopini, Eggplant Parm, Baked Ziti or Lasagna and of course pastries and cookies from Termini's in Philly. Not to mention enough alcohol to even pickle me ;D

Wendy,
My mom and dad are from Vienna. Neither one of them like sauerbraten but I make it for myself all the time. I am patting myself on the back here, but I think I make the best sauerbraten!!! LOL! I don't even marinate mine anymore. Let me know if you want to swap recipes. My recipe is in my head!
Mike.

My family is hardcore Italian. My father and my mother were both born in Italy(even though they met here).

On the eve we do the 7 fishes. Calamari, shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams, and flounder .. my father and my cousin do the baccala or scungilli that no one else will eat. Added to the Linguini with Clam sauce.

We have Lasagna on the Christmas day along with alot of other stuff, like stuffed mushrooms, meatballs, brasciole, rabit, brocc. rabe etc...

JerseyWendy said:
SAUERBRATEN (I will place the 5 lbs roast in the marinade tomorrow since it's gotta sit in it for 4-5 days)
Spiral Ham

My plan is to eat at Wendy's ;D

JerseyWendy said:

maybe not :p

Mike, I'd love to trade recipes. I got mine from the internet, and it's quite a bit of work. Believe me, if I can cut some corners and save time, I gladly will.

Greg, you made me spit coffee all over the monitor. LOLOL. My kids and sister-in-law HATE Brussels Sprouts, too. I'm only doing them because Alex asked me to since his mom and brother like them.

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
Since I'm having Christmas at our house this year, but only 3 family members are coming, I decided to go a totally different route food-wise than usual. As you all know, I'm from Germany, and have yet to cook a somewhat authentic German meal for my extended family. Well this year I'll give it a shot. Here's what's on my menu (and yes, Alex had to add some "traditional" foods as well in case nobody likes the other stuff :-[)

Spiral Ham

Green Bean Casserole smothered in sauteed onions

Of course there'll be tons of appetizers AND I'll be making a German Strawberry Wine Punch. ;D

What's on everybody else's menu? Please share.

---
Wendy

What? No red cabbage or Spätzle or Pfeffernuesse?? ;D