• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

how do you clean your power heads?

how do you clean your power heads? I usually use a tooth brush to try and clean out the water inlet areas and try to scrap off as much coraline as possible. Is there anything that will help break down the coraline or clean the power heads up faster?

cheap distilled white vinegear is a main cleaning solution for all my aquarium equipment. It works great for my saltwater tank eq since the acid safely eats all high ph minerals. I clean everything with it from mesh prefilters to reusable nylon media bags. Simply soak in a 50/50 diluted solution while doing a water change. Rinse well and your ready to go. Have several bottles with my SW cleaning supplys at all times :)

I usually use caustic acid,just drop the powerhead in a small bucket of it,and watch the coraline just sizzle and smoke away,must be done in a well ventilated area though it burns eyes face and skin...Im kidding..jk white vin works good and no worries... :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
shipwrecked said:
I usually use caustic acid,just drop the powerhead in a small bucket of it,and watch the coraline just sizzle and smoke away, must be done in a well ventilated area though it burns eyes face and skin.

I read the first line of your post.

I then went and mixed up some Potassium Permanganate with Sulphuric acid to make permanganic acid, a highly caustic cleaning acid. I dipped the powerhead in and watched it start to rapidly sizzle, and then came back to finish reading your post. Well........by the time I got back to the powerhead, all that was left was the wire that was hanging out of the bucket.

Whose name do I put on the lawsuit? :eek:

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
redfishbluefish said:
shipwrecked said:
I usually use caustic acid,just drop the powerhead in a small bucket of it,and watch the coraline just sizzle and smoke away, must be done in a well ventilated area though it burns eyes face and skin.

I read the first line of your post.

I then went and mixed up some Potassium Permanganate with Sulphuric acid to make permanganic acid, a highly caustic cleaning acid. I dipped the powerhead in and watched it start to rapidly sizzle, and then came back to finish reading your post. Well........by the time I got back to the powerhead, all that was left was the wire that was hanging out of the bucket.

Whose name do I put on the lawsuit? :eek:

You too?!?

Looks like you have a class action lawsuit coming your way Tony!

anyone else not clean their powerheads? my 4 koralia-4's are covered in coraline, is that something i should be concerned about?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I just take the cover off and clean that because it usually has green stringy algae. I also wipe off the impeller with my fingers if its covered in algae.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a few K4's that just quit on me after running for about a year. When I plug them in there is no "pull" on the impeller or anything. They're just dead. I'm not sure what caused it but it's happened to at least 3 of them. I never took them out and cleaned them so it's possible that the impeller seized and fried the motor but who knows. I have a couple of 3's that are still running like champs even after the same lack of care. It may just be a problem with the 4's but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'd recommend keeping them clean. I can't say for sure whether or not it'll prevent the problem I had but it's probably better to err on the side of caution.