• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How many t-5's do I need

I am in the process of setting up a 58 gallon oceanic tank and want to use t-5 lighting this time instead of halides. My wife would kill me if I ran another set of them in the house

I don't want to be limited on what I can keep but with such a small tank how many bulbs am I going to honestly need.

I am looking at 6 and 8 bulb 36 in fixtures. Both have independent reflectors on all the bulbs.

Thanks for the help

I have it narrowed down to 4 different fixtures. which one would you pick

36in 6 bulb nova extreme. looks like the most complete setup with all you need to get started right out off the box. priced at around $300

36 in Catalina 8x39w @ $325 .....but in description has no mention of any type of fans.

36in Solar with remote control $295..... same issue...no fans listed in unit

and last but not least

36in 8 bulb tek light @ $330.... this has no bulbs...no legs...no fans listed...no moonlights and somewhere I think I had read that they come without a splash shield as well...so if anyone has a tek light please let me know if this is true. Looks like to add all of that stuff the price is gonna go up drastically

Thanks

I like mine as well(Catalina). I think you can ask him to put in fans, mine does not have them...heat is really minimal though and I don't have it enclosed. You could go 6 or 8 bulbs I think for that size tank.

Catalina distributor wrote me back.....$30 extra for a fan installed in the unit.

If I go with the 8 bulb setup then I should be able to move my clam over there correct??

I have a grade A purple/blk crocea clam. Howabout my alien eye acan as well?

Solar mfg wrote me back.....said no fan is needed.....can increase the size of the unit to 12in wide to disperse the heat better but the price would jump to $600

I have a clam and have seen growth on it in my 120.

I don't have any issue with heat on mine without fan. I also have T5 on my fresh water and don't turn the fans on because they are annoying.

Well the distributor, after I asked my question on the solar remote hood, raised his price by $50 so it is now $350 plus $45 to ship it for the 6 bulb.

I can get the Catalina 8 bulb shipped for $325 so it looks like this decision gets easier as I go along. I still have my eye on a refurbished nova 6 bulb that is up for auction but if it doesn't pan out at a steal of a price will order the Catalina in the next 2 days.

How are the stock bulbs from them and if they need to be swapped out what do you recommend. I use 15k halides now so like things a bit on the bluer side but still want good growth.

Thanks again

If you go with the six bulb set up this is what I reccomend and is what I currently use: 2 geiseman pure actinic bulbs, 2 gieseman true blue bulbs and two mid day bulbs. The color that they produce is awesome. I also reccomend the TEK light 6 bulb if you can afford it. You are correct that you have to order every seperatley. But honestly this light is sleek, silent, runs cool and has not once had any hicupps.
Jon