• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How much nori should i feed my yellow tang?

How much should i feed him per day? he absoloutely loves the stuff and i'm sure he would eat as much as i put in. What a good amount per day? He does really eat flakes or pellets. he'll take a few but he normally won't eat them so the nori is his his main meal.

My tang does not know when to stop eatting the nori so I tend not to give it all the time: fast easting = fast pooping = higher nitrates.

If that is all he is eating and you dont have macro algae for him to graze on during the day then I'd say at least once a day. or smaller amounts 2-3 times a day

reeferwanabe said:
If that is all he is eating and you dont have macro algae for him to graze on during the day then I'd say at least once a day. or smaller amounts 2-3 times a day

Right but how much of it once a day?

Do half a strip and see how much he would eat. If he eats the whole thing right a way then try a little bigger piece if he doesn't eat it all in about 1 hour then give him a little less. :)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you leave it too long it goes bad. The stuff left behind in the clip when he's done also goes gross if it isn't cleaned out in a short period of time. So as adesimone said, use what your fish will eat in an hour or so (before it ends up all over your tank).

I used to take a full 8x10 sheet and fold it half, then wrap it around a wet piece of pvc pipe and secure with a rubber band. Run a piece of airline tubing through a plastic bottle cap and through the PVC and hang it in the tank. It would last all day without falling apart like a regular clip. If you leave the bag of seaweed open it gets rubbery and holds together better.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What size PVC, Jeff. That sounds interesting. No pictures, huh?

I used some 1" dia. by 6" or 8" long PVC because it's what I had lying around and it worked with the plastic bottle cap. If I remember I take a pic tonight.

What was the point of the airline tubing through the bottle cap? i've heard of the whole pvc pipe. My tangs were a little shy when it came to the pipe so i rubber band it to a piece of rock in the tank instead and the devour it!

Drill a 1/8" hole in the bottle cap and string the airline tubing through and tie it into a knot. The cap acts as a stopper to hold up the PVC pipe.
The rock works but it's a pain to retrieve. Witht the air line tubing just just pull it up and slip the PVC off and roll on a new sheet, then drop it back in the water. No mess, no towels & no fuss. I'm a very lazy reefer.

Ohhh i see! that's smart, yeah the rock is quite the pain to retrieve. hey nothing wrong with being lazy as long as all the work gets done, right?

I don't use a clip on my tanks. My 210 I put in a whole sheet in the tank. My guys take it out of my hand and then it is a free for all and tug of war for 5 min. then it is gone. It is the funniest thing to watch. I put a 1/2 sheet in the 110 still a tug of war but not as amusing as the 210

It depends sometimes I go to an Asian market and pick it up or to the lfs and get a variety red, green, brown, purple. I have pigs and they are not picky

Also just a suggestion if all your feeding you tank is Nori .Don't forget to do a food Soak.It will really help keep the colors of you tang nice and prevent disease.I use Selcon or Vitachem.Nori really soaks Liquid Vitamins well.