• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

How much to charge to install a 4-way Ocean Motion.

What do you think is a fair amount to charge, to plumb a 4-way ocean motion? I'm also curious in the event someone ask me to install one...LOL

A good friend, who happens to be in the hobby. He hired a vendor from the same club/forum, not here. This vendor charged this ridiculous amount of money to plumbed together PVC to 4-way OM to a Reeflo dart about $75 an hour. At first the vendor was charging more than that an hour. Believe me, I tried to talk my friend out of it, in fact I suggested him to post a thread, for help! I'm sure that someone in the hobby with adequate experience would have helped for beer and pizza...maybe a little cash

If I had to pay for a service, I would have given that person $200 tops for his time. This job took nearly 2 full days, do the math!

This was an abuse of the hobby, a friendship that we are suppose to have in these forums. I understand that a vendor have to make somewhat a living (a profit), but when this vendor has no storefront, meaning no overhead this is insane.

Like to hear your input!

i would suspect that whatever a plumber gets the vendor would probably get the same or a little less for not having a license.. and you know how expensive plumbers are.

After being in this hobby for several years, I can admit that these forums are a source of knowledge, and a place to meet great people, a place to get great deals. Hmmmmmm Great deals is the question!!
We are not talking about how much is the going rate of a plummer! This is about a vendor who we give business to! Can you seriouly, say that min. $75 an hour 8+ hours is reasonable in the installation of a 4-way Ocean Motion.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
$75 a hour seems fair but 8 hours to install it seems excessive!

Bob

well, yes we are talking about the going rate for a plumber.. PLUMBING is getting installed, IE pipes that carry a liquid from or to somewhere. So yes 75 seems a fair Per Hour based on that and i would say that a plumbers going rate is a fair comparison maybe less if said person didn't have a license.

YET 8 hours is a little excessive for most plumbing under a mid size tank. Someone that knows what they are doing and has the fittings available should not take more than an afternoon to plumb that in. When you get a vendor to do something they are trying to make money, yes will they cut you a break but they have bills to pay for.. Now if you asked a friend to come over then it would be highway robbery and 8 hours probably would not be enough

Firstly, this is not a plumber or has a license to plumb. This was not the vendor primary bread and butter, this is side work. The plumbing was on a 100G tank, holes were drilled already. There was no drilling! Just put in the Bulkheads and glue in the PVC.

from the point of view of someone that has done alot of plumbing work.... seems more than a little excessive.. but, one guy didn't know how to do it, and the other guy did so caveat emptor comes into play. now the accusation that he is not a liscensed plumber or that this is only side work, if the job was done incorrectly and the tank flooded, damage was done and some things in the tank died, would he have been held fully accountable? or would it have been dismissed as, "he's not a pro" and "this was only a side job, not his fault"? i doubt it... was the work done well? quality job in place? atleast it's a learning experience for your friend.... ::)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
At $75/hr, I would have been breathing down his neck the whole time. Definitely a milk job. Even 4 hrs seems excessive. A few years back, I rough plumbed both drain and supply lines in a master bath addition in a little over 8 hrs all by myself.

There would have to be some extenuating circumstances to justify 8 hours. Did he have to run out to get parts?

RichT that bathroom job is a job! My hats off to you! No he did not need to go get parts, if he did he would have charged for the gas....laugh but is no joke!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the hard part for me is that I know how our club works. If you even think you may want to take on a project, you have 10 members at your door with a handful of tools ready to get started, so I guess I'm a bit spoiled! It's unfortunate that more clubs aren't like that.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:
I think the hard part for me is that I know how our club works. If you even think you may want to take on a project, you have 10 members at your door with a handful of tools ready to get started, so I guess I'm a bit spoiled! It's unfortunate that more clubs aren't like that.
\
MikeM to the rescue!!!!

i just want to make clear that i am not bashing you or your buddy. i am only referencing a lic. or un-lic. plumber for the pay scale.. most LFS if they do what your buddy had done will use that scale. I'm on your side, i think he got ripped. If you can just understand my point that a business is one way for the most part, for them to make money. It's like a Mechanic, are you going to pay the book rate for someone to replace your alternator or are you going to get a buddy and do it yourself.*

if that was this guys "Bread & Butter" well, I can't believe it's not butter.

*unless you have one of those minivans that you have to remove the body to replace said part ::) :-\

like John said there is a lot of our members that help each other in our club , it is a challenge everytime when we help move a tank or with other problems that we may have,and we have to remember this is a hobby and we all learn something new everyday.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JohnS_323 said:

I agree with John.