• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I am Considering coming back

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
After Sandy hit I lost everything got disgusted and sold bunch of stuff. I would like to come back into the hobby but have limited space and cash.
Here is what I have: 46g bow front tank and stand, HOB coralife super skimmer and 48" 4 bulb T5 lights, various water circulating pumps.

I plan to come back fish only maybe some softies. I have 2 buckets sealed of coralife salt mix but its 3 years old. Is it still usable?

Can I support the animals with this skimmer as only filtration? No room for a sump but may be able to add HOB filter.

Just feeling this all out before I make a decision so all opinions are welcome.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
.......... I have 2 buckets sealed of coralife salt mix but its 3 years old. Is it still usable?

Welcome back Mark!

If the salt hasn't been exposed to moisture and turned into a solid brick, it's still good. That is, it's still a powder material.

Can I support the animals with this skimmer as only filtration? No room for a sump but may be able to add HOB filter.

Just feeling this all out before I make a decision so all opinions are welcome.

Welcome back! It can bee done but keep the bio load low.

I ran a 46 bow with a Fluval canister filter. I would have more easy softies and less fish. Keeping up with water changes will be key.

You sound like me. I lost everything in sandy too and just got back. I've simplified though and since I had a leak in my fuge I cut that out and am inserting a small flow area into my sump. It's nice being back :)

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I also think you will be fine. Just keep up on the water changes and don't try to push it as far as the bioload goes. I too lost everything in sandy and rebuilt a little over a year ago. Like stated above its been great being back. Best of luck and welcome back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk