• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I HATE hitchhiker crabs!

I finally found what was causing one of my acroporas to have a few white spots on it.

Found a small Xanthid crab on it just a bit ago. Was the same size as the spots and was happily picking away on the acro.

Found a new home in the refugium for him, as I didn't feel like killing him outright.

So annoying, though!

LOL...

it was all out war long ago when I got my shipment of gulf-of-mexico LR. patriot76 probably can attest to it since he got the same kind of LR.

A flashlight and long hours at night with a "claw" device worked wonders.

phil519 said:
LOL...

it was all out war long ago when I got my shipment of gulf-of-mexico LR. patriot76 probably can attest to it since he got the same kind of LR.

A flashlight and long hours at night with a "claw" device worked wonders.

I could imagine. That's the only reason I didn't order live rock fresh from the sea a while back. Otherwise, I would've. Just don't have the patience for the hitch hikers.

One crab and a few small white spots on a maricultured coral make me furious enough. Imagine me trying to find 1930423974923740758423072843073 gorilla crabs!

I found yet another one!

Pictures soon. This is a different crab than the first hitch hiker.

And no, this is not new live rock. I've had it for a few months.

crab2small.gif

crab3small.gif

i know what you are saying! i removed a few gorilla crabs and a few mantis shrimp. still have a couple gorilla crabs in the DT, as well as a couple pistol shrimp. none of them really seem to be bothering anything, so i am not going to rip my tank apart trying to catch them.

Patriot76 said:
i know what you are saying! i removed a few gorilla crabs and a few mantis shrimp. still have a couple gorilla crabs in the DT, as well as a couple pistol shrimp. none of them really seem to be bothering anything, so i am not going to rip my tank apart trying to catch them.

If you DO get a pistol or two, I will take one gladly!

jonathan. said:
Patriot76 said:

they are pretty cool looking.

shrimp_best.jpg

Patriot76 said:
jonathan. said:
Patriot76 said:

they are pretty cool looking.

shrimp_best.jpg

Wow! Yeah, I like them a lot!

Let me know if you take any out and want to get rid of them. I'd trade a small frag or something for one of them.

bill - my hitcher pistol was tiny and looked like this: (it was LOUD though).
pistolscale_020205.jpg

jonathan - how do you like this xanthid crab:
armlessgorilla.jpg

It was still alive even though the mantis had knocked off the claws/legs.