• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

I need a plan

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
So this little 265 I have is sitting here with half the rocks out of it.
Long story short I have over take by manjos and aptaisia. I just took half the rocks out. Probably going to take the rest out either tonight or tomorrow.

So here is where the plan comes in. I have no idea what I want to do with this tank. But I can't take the loss of corals due to these weeds. I have alot of rocks laying around that I hope do not have any pests. Once I get everything out of the tank I'm going to put them in a few at a time.

There are few things I'm scare of lossing is a 12 inch Clam, a 15 inch RBTA and about 10 fish.
What do you guys think?

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
i'm ready to jump. I came down to the fish room this morning and my skimmer over flowed about 50 gallons of water on the floor. I adjusted it to get a little wetter last night before bed. I barely touched the thing. i can't take it any more. I'm trying this thing one more time and if it doesn't work everything is going bye bye.

Ed sorry to hear about more of your problems. It happened to a friend of ours and it overflowed over a white carpet. :eek: Can't beat the in sump skimmers if they overflow who cares it's only going back in the sump.

Hey Ed,

Sorry to hear about all the problems. Get some of those water alarms from Home Depot. They really give you quick warning when water hits the floor.

With so large a system I think you can support the fish, RBTA and clam without rock, so get it out and start working on it. I tried cooking some rock for three months that had aptasia, but it still had some after all that time. I would suggest drying, scrubbing, baking, something along those lines. Very high salinity is also a possibility that I have heard of but never tried.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I got 10 of these Nudibranchs at 20 a clip. They only eat Aptasia not Manjos. Should have burned my money they were worthless.

I am slowly taking everything out little by litte.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Stick with it, Ed! If I made it through the flatworms, bryopsis and caulpera outbreaks you can make it through this!

Hi Ed...I have been in exactly the same spot for several months now....I have a 135 Oceanic Reef that's been up since 2002. About a year or so ago, I added some new Fiji live rock in order to "freshen up" my existing reef. I placed them in a few spots around the tank...I apparently didn't notice the majanos when I inspected the new rock...After a while the majanos started to appear in numbers...At first I thought they were aiptasias, so I tried all of these as follows: 1) Injecting with Joe's Juice which killed only the easy to reach animals; 2) Adding a few Berghia nudibranchs which just disappeared; and 3/4/5) Adding a few Peppermint Shrimp, a Copperband Butterfly and a pair of Bristle Tail Filefish, all of which have been known to "eat" aiptasia..Of course NOTHING HAPPENED since I have majanos and not aiptasia.

So, I removed most of the live rock, scrubbed it thoroughly and promptly set it out on the deck to dry out in the sun.It is now "dead rock" that sits in boxes in my shed. Most of the corals were given away or housed temporarily in my Nano Reef tank along with a few of the smaller fish.

Next, I disconnected the filter and skimmer since my 17 year old main pump finally gave out...What I was left with was a half full 135 gallon tank with a few pieces of live rock, a large mushroom rock and several fish...2 Tangs, 2 Wrasses,
2 Filefish and a Canary Blenny...that has 3 Maxi Jet 1200's and a Tunze Nanostream running for circulation.

GET THIS..It's been this way for 2+ months now with no action on my part except to replace evaporated water. About 5 weeks ago I noticed that the dozen or so majanos left on the large mushroom rock and the dozens left on the aquarium glass and on the corner silcone seals (which I dared not scrape) began to gradually FADE AWAY. Over these last 5 weeks they have faded away completely never having moved at all. Looks like they just disintegrated. Other than the water parameters which I unfortunately did not measure since the fish were OK, I'm at a loss to explain why the majanos "disappeared." I'm just grateful that they are gone.

However, I will remove the fish, vacuum the sand, drain the tank, add a the filtration system/new pump, set up the skimmer and "re-cure" my now dead rock. Then, I'll return the fish and few corals left in my Nano. Hopefully it will all go well.

Sorry for the long post but I thought the experience would be instructional and hopefully helpful especially since the "natural" remedies didn't work for me. Just inferior water quality, time and "luck"

Dom

over on fishforums.net, i have seen several members take their rock out and use a torch or creme brulee lighter to burn them off. dangerous, yet effective.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
So seeing Brian's tank all nice after the switch over yesterday it inspired me to take all the rocks out of my tank.
The fish are bugging they have no idea what do to.

So now here is the question. Do you think I need to drain the tank, completly and start over to get rid of these little jokers. Will aptasia and mojans stay alive in pipes and travel to and from the frag tank and the sump?

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
your best bet is to start over, get a high end skimmer like a bk and you wont have any troubles like floods for what its worth a saddle back fly will eat manjos like candy.,,all day long till there all gone. Leave all the rock out of the water for 4 days clean off the dead slim and recure changeing the water all of it every week till cured. Add bac 7 or zeo bac to the cureing vat and skim it hard.

stan

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Thanks Stan I was thinking of calling you. Thanks for the suggests. I do have a Reeflo skimmer but I never hooked up the waste collector properly hence the reason for the flood. I adjusted it to skim a little more wet one night and thats what got me. The Bubble King is on the 90 gallon.

I never really loved the way the rocks looked in that tank anyway so this will be a new begining for this tank.