• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ideas on how to drill and set up overflow and return on 75 gal tank

Im open to ideas on how to set up and what to buy to drill and do my own over flow and return for my 75 gallon tank. I was wondering how big should the bulk head be and should i do two over flows and one return by putting each overflow on both ends of tank and put return in center of my tank. Any advice would help my first time doing this .

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would suggest a Glass-Holes overflow kit....that includes the drill bit. You'll be happy. With a 75 you could go with a 700 gph or 1500 gph kit....either one would work. I have the 1500 on my 90 gallon tank.

I agree with Paul go with the Glass-hole overflows. I would go with the 1500gph kit and center the overflow just so everything looks even

Ill try to find pics, I had a pair of custom overflows made, one for each cornee, and drilled a single return in the middle.

yea that would be great xavier to see some pictures i would like to say that i just seen the glass hole overflows and they are super nice and slim

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I had the glass holes kit on my 45g and they really are excellent. I would highly recommend them, and I think redfishbluefish gets a nickel per referral as he has been trumpeting their greatness for years.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Or get a drilled tank. The standard 75g drilled tank is < $250 including all the plumbing and tax.

30g tank is perfect for a sump that can fit under a 75g stand.

yes i have thought about getting a 75 gal drilled tank but i was given a 75 gal by (GluttonousSolarWrasse) so i will cost me 1/3 to drill and install bulkheads to the tank then to buy one. I am limited on funds so trying to spend where its much needed like lighting and skimmer . plus there's no fun in having something done for you when you can DIY.

John, it is very easy and you only need minimum materials. Just make sure to go very slow as you are doing the drilling. Also, double check and make sure the back glass is not tempered in that tank. There is a test you can do-google it so see if you can find it or maybe someone here has dealt with it.

I know the bottom is tempered, but don't think the sides are.