• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

In need of sump advice!!

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Can't you go to a twenty gal sump 10 gallons seem really small for skimmer ref and return?
If u went a little bigger things would be easier. Just sayen

You mention putting in a MAG 5 or 7 with a 300 gph return. You don’t want to exceed the rating of the overflow, and I would guess, unmetered, both this pumps would exceed the overflow.

If you insist on putting in one of these pumps, I would suggest not metering the pump by simply putting in a valve. Instead, tee off the return and direct that water back into your sump. Here’s an example where you would have a valve on the tee’d off line returning to the sump to control flow rate to the DT.

PumpTee.jpg

The other option is to build a manifold to run other equipment….reactors, etc.

Or the last option is to use a pump that does not exceed the overflow.

One more point; use unions were you think you’ll need to pull things apart. As an example, and seen in the picture above, to remove the pump for cleaning/replacing.

With the headloss the mag 5 is 270 gph so I think that would work. I like the idea of unions at the pump.

Can't you go to a twenty gal sump 10 gallons seem really small for skimmer ref and return?
If u went a little bigger things would be easier. Just sayen

I want to add a sump without breaking my tank down, and the 10 is all I can fit into the stand with a tank on it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
With the headloss the mag 5 is 270 gph so I think that would work. I like the idea of unions at the pump.

That seems a bit low for a four or five foot rise and a couple elbows and unions. How far away is you sump...and what is you plumbing plan. Again, I'm guessing, but a 4 - 5 foot rise with a couple elbows are only going to drop you gph to mid 350 - 375 gph.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
4 ft vertical. The rc head loss calculator says 270 with the mag 5.....

Got it. It's been a number of years since I've used this and just did a quick peek, and your right. After adding in a couple elbows and unions, a MAG 5 looks like a good choice.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Skimmers produce bubbles. I’m not familiar with your skimmer, but I’d say you would want at least a two baffle trap. I have only a two baffle trap in my sump......SWC 160 skimmer.

IMG_1267.jpg

So my shopping list is:

300 gph eshopps overflow
Mag 5 pump
Sca 301 skimmer
10 gallon tank
Acrylic panels
Assorted PVC parts

I think i am ready to start buying and building...