• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Info, rules, and helpful links

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
WELCOME!

So, here we go, first posting in the new forum regarding the Drink Tank Challenge.

What is it?
Its a challenge to start a reef tank in a small container such as a lemonade dispenser (handy for water changes) or even a vase or large Mason jar. In 6 months time tanks will be compared and voted on.

Who can compete?
NJRC members. That is, anyone who joins, even if out of state.

When is the start date?
Officially October 1. So start curing that rock (on speed) and picking up supplies.

When is the finish date?
The tanks can go on forever, but voting will occur somewhere in the first week of June, details to follow.

Are there prizes?
Yes. Don't know what they are yet as we have yet to contact sponsers. Details will be provided at a future date.

THE RULES

The Vessel used to contain the reef can be no more then 2.5 gallons but can be of any shape or size as long as it does not exceed the 2.5 gallon limit.

The system shall not contain any forum of mechanical filtration.
Skimming and filtering functions are replaced with water changes.
Water change schedule is determined by contestant.

The system will include the following equipment:
1. Vessel/tank/container
2. Light source (capable of supporting your coral growth)
3. Circulation source (bubbler or power head)

Heater, substrate, type of rock, decor, livestock, etc all options left to the designer.

The contestant must post bi-weekly updates providing proof that the reef system is indeed hosting and growing coral from start to finish.

This prevents contestants from simply adding frags at the end an sending in a picture of the most amazing reef that never grew.

Contestant is able to remove and replace frags for the first 3 months of the challenge.
There are no further frag additions or changes after this period.
The exchanges must be documented in your tank build thread.

Frags and rocks can be moved within the tank for the first 4 months of the challenge.
There are no further aquascape changes after this.
The changes must be documented in your tank build thread.

Final word on rules
Read them thoroughly as you can not participate for prizes unless you follow them. IF there are any questions or suggestions regarding rules please post them or PM them to me and I will take it up with committee.
Posts in the forms are not rules. The only rules will be posted under the RULES title above.

A word on costs and budgeting and an additional rule

There was debate as to putting a limit on the overall cost of the system. Initially we were throwing around numbers from $75 to $100, but we don't think this will work out.
Many (if not all) of us have spare equipment laying around the house. This may include old lights or pumps which may push the initial budget beyond the $100 mark.
Its also a bit skewed if someone decides to do a .5g reef under a lightbulb and put out no investment al all as opposed to someone using the entire budget on an ebay tank and light.

So, lets make it that you can use anything you have laying around the house, BUT, you should't go beyond an additional $100 out of pocket.

This is about creativity. Use what you have. Want to put an MP10 in a 1g cube? Go for it. Metal halides over a Mason Jar? Great. A $5 Home depot lamp over a goldfish bowl? Thats OK as well.

Just get creative and HAVE FUN.

Much thanks to Jeremy Brito for his time and effort in setting out these rules.

Finally, some links (feel free to post more)

A Beginner's Guide to Pico Reefs - Marine Depot Blog

A Reef Beyond Belief! ReefJar.com

mary arroyo

pico reef Archives - Reef Builders | The Reef and Marine Aquarium Blog

Last edited:

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Would this 2.5 AGA setup qualify?

Attachments

• IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0485.JPG
    IMG_0485.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0487.JPG
    IMG_0487.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 25
Today is the start of this challenge. While I don't expect to win the challenge, I want to participate in this club activity. I am not sure if your 1st post should be in by today or not, but I would think you should, even if not fully cycled to let people know you are in it. I know there were several people (4 at least) shopping for corals yesterday, so I hope this means more entries.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I never received any type of clarification/answer to my above question so I never went ahead with starting it off.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
It says no mechanical filtration, so could you use it as a return pump with fuge?

Soz, haven't been around for the past 2 weeks. Unit has to be fully self contained.
No outside filtration or sump.
An easy way to think of it is that wires and tube can go into, but can't come out of.

CHALLENGE BEGINS TODAY!

Surprised to only see a handful of builds so far.
Going to get mine set up on Wednesday, will post pics.

HAVE FUN, LEARN, AND SHARE!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Ruth,

Sorry for delay. Unexpected RL stuff.

I was going to contact a few of the sponser contacts I made from the summer, but am a bit hesitant as we only have a few on board so far and I don't want to take advantage of them.
I was seriously expecting at least a dozen and hoping for a score or more.
If our numbers build over the next 2 weeks, I'll get in touch with them, if not, we can keep it friendly.