• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Input on 75 gallon stocking

I'm getting my 75 gallon running and am trying to polish off my stocking list.
I already have

• 2 clownfish (not sure if ocellaris or perc)
  • 1 Kaudern's Cardinal
  • 1 Neon Goby
    • 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
    • 1 peppermint shrimp
    • 6 (?) ghost/grass shrimp
    • hermits, snails, an unidentified crab,
I want to add

• 1- Green clown goby, I have read that they will get along okay with the neon in nano tanks so I figure that a 75 with a lot of rock should be no problem. LFS also says that the clown goby and the neon goby bioloads are practically non existent in terms of stocking.
  • 1- Midas Blenny OR Lawnmower Blenny
  • 1- Diamond Goby OR a goby that'll pair with a pistol shrimp. A bit reluctant with YWG because I have accidentally killed one in QT :(
    • Another skunk cleaner (I really like inverts even if they're not going to be productive cleaners)
    • Fire shrimp
    • a sea star? brittle not sure which one would be best
    • an urchin?
    • anemone? not sure what kind, got to research that
LiveAquaria's compatibility chart says to use caution with a blenny and cardinals? But the blenny on my list are larger ones? And the cardinal isn't too big, does anyone have experience with any blennies with a kaudern's cardinal?

I'd also really love a tang. I know that opinions are very varied with tangs in a 4 ft tank, especially a yellow one. Does anyone have accurate information on how quickly they grow if I were to get a small one? About how long I would have before I'd need an upgrade?

What would you add or edit?

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
@Kai now I can't speak for the other fish but I will speak on your tang question.

I had a 54g corner tank that was heavy stock with fish. Two of those fish was a yellow tang and a powered brown tang. Yes I know they require a larger/long tank but I was stumborn and went with them anyway. I had both fish for over two years with no issues. I even sold them off when I broke my tank down. I kept both well feed and I had plenty of space for them to swim. Again just my experince

Reactions: Kai
@Kai now I can't speak for the other fish but I will speak on your tang question.

I had a 54g corner tank that was heavy stock with fish. Two of those fish was a yellow tang and a powered brown tang. Yes I know they require a larger/long tank but I was stumborn and went with them anyway. I had both fish for over two years with no issues. I even sold them off when I broke my tank down. I kept both well feed and I had plenty of space for them to swim. Again just my experince
Hearing experience is good. I'm really thing to find fish that are going to end up being swimmers to the tank. That and I love Bubbles from Finding Nemo ;)

So far a lot of my favorite fish are ones that are sort of 'chiller's', like the clown goby, fish that pick a spot and stick with it so it makes me wonder how I could get some more visual action in there.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, until your new tank becomes well established, I'd avoid any stars except for maybe a serpent. Also hold off on a nem until your new tank settles in.

I have a orange striped cardinal and hes been pretty solid with his tank mates but not very active. I recently had a komaharra blenny and he was very cool but Now I have a lawnmower belnny. He's still new so it's too soon to tell. Both were/are pretty stationary but cool looking.

Wrasses in general will give you that movement you may be looking for. You can find fairy wrasses pretty much anywhere.

Personally, until your new tank becomes well established, I'd avoid any stars except for maybe a serpent. Also hold off on a nem until your new tank settles in.

I have a orange striped cardinal and hes been pretty solid with his tank mates but not very active. I recently had a komaharra blenny and he was very cool but Now I have a lawnmower belnny. He's still new so it's too soon to tell. Both were/are pretty stationary but cool looking.

Wrasses in general will give you that movement you may be looking for. You can find fairy wrasses pretty much anywhere.
Yes I do plan to wait it out before getting anything as sensitive as a star or anemone, I'm really trying to iron out the compatibility issues so I don't get a random fish now that might mean I can't get something that I want more but can't get just yet. I heard a lot about aggression with wrasses, but maybe that was only in the context when I was looking for my 29 gallon?

I’m a big fan of the tailspot blenny-great personality and coloration nicer than the others in my opinion. Picks at the rocks constantly, very cool swimming patterns and it finds little burrow holes in the rock to back into or lies on the coral or rock to relax. Most non-hobbyists who see mine think it’s a little eel. Very peaceful, entertaining, generally active, and I’ve had it with cardinals. Only concern is it’s smaller size but with your stocking list and size tank that won’t be an issue. It eats a good amount of algae for a little guy but like any blenny won’t eat back an outbreak. Combined with snails, a tuxedo urchin, an emerald crab, and a linckia Star, that’s my cleanup crew. Only times Ive had trouble is when I skip a few water changes.

Last edited: