• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

iPod car adapters?

Does the stock headunit have an Ipod adapter built in...most newer cars/trucks do...If not...You can use the Harman Kardon Drive + Play system...or the USA Spec Ipod Interface..(I think Crutchfield sells both)...Or you can just replace the factory headunit with an aftermarket one that has iPod hookups built in....Any of the above options will do the trick...just try to stay away from FM Modulators...I have never found that they work properly.....

they sell fm transmitters that hook up to the headphone jack on your ipod. they basically transmit the music on a fm frequency that you can pick up with your car stereo.

The fm transmitters all suck.
Go onto crutchfield.com , select your vehicle and see what options you have with the stock head unit.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could also do the nice and easy (and cheap) cassette adapter, if the car has a cassette deck (obviously!)

C

concept3

There are transmitters on the market that has something called clear scan. Even though it is fm modulated, it will look for the cleanest possible FM signal to integrate into your radio frequency that the head unit can pick up. The Apple stores have them, and it retails for $79.95 There is one particular model, but the exact company that it is manufactured by escapes me. It is in a green and white clamshell box.

The plug type does work best, but your radio needs to have an auxiliary input to make it work.

Good luck
Merv

Merv Rubiano said:
There are transmitters on the market that has something called clear scan. Even though it is fm modulated, it will look for the cleanest possible FM signal to integrate into your radio frequency that the head unit can pick up. The Apple stores have them, and it retails for $79.95 There is one particular model, but the exact company that it is manufactured by escapes me. It is in a green and white clamshell box.

The plug type does work best, but your radio needs to have an auxiliary input to make it work.

Good luck
Merv

There's one from Apple that works really well, and one that works.... well.... I don't think "works" is the appropriate term for the other. Unfortunately, I cannot recall which is which. One of the iPod adapters is incredible, using a transmitter. Nice, clear sound. The other.... yeah no.

At the moment, though, I'm mighty leery on all products Apple, despite my use and adoration of my Powerbook (and my love of testing the impact resistance of the "clamshell" with my friend, Alicia). In these recent days, Apple has had a terrible tendency to rush products to the market without really evaluating every angle. Their current popularity has turned into a rise in products hitting the market without complete testing in certain aspects, such as the durability of certain things (the iPod Nano's original screen comes to mind, as well the joints on the iBook). While Apple has done great things to fix some of these issues (such as the iPhone glitch of not being able to actually get service at all on some carriers that supposedly supported iPhones and the "exploding" lithium batteries issue and the battery exchange program.... y'think maybe I should finally send them back my old battery now that I've had the new one for a year?), some issues they have almost flat-out refused to fix (in the iPod, specifically, I still take great issue to the battery issue).

So, while I do encourage you to take a look at the Apple ones (because, like I said, there is one that works REALLY well, IMHO), I also encourage you to keep your eyes peeled at market research and reviews when you get a narrower range of idea on what you want. G4 TechTV used to be awesome for this (since they were rather candid about both cool and awful features), but I haven't watched it after the takeover to really comment if they are still sticking to that.

..... *sheepish* good luck?

Thanks for all the feedback. I have been researching a lot of different options...and what I have come across echoes what was said here...there are some good and some bad options!

Ive also been looking into the units that install directly into the radio...I think thats the option I am going to go with. More expensive but the best quality sound from what I am told.