• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is a Nano still a Nano ...

If it's plumbed to a larger system? For example I wanted to get a 29 gallon biocube and modify it so it runs with the same sump and plumbed into my 120.

Is it still considered a Nano? If I called it a nano would you still respect me in the morning?lol.

Seriously though, what are your opinions on this?

:)
Personally, I wouldn't call it really a nano. The system is not a nano. The logic of calling it nano system would be the same as if I called the single rock I have in the corner of my tank a nano system. There would be no real difference from coral's point of view ;)

Hi Mike

It seems to me that strictly speaking a "true" nano tank (as I listen to people talk about them) is probably a free-standing system with its own biotope and not one that depends on another system for its life support. That does not mean that it cannot be a "unique living space" for corals, inverts., and fish that would normally not get along with others or belong in a regular reef.

Personally, the definition of a nano tank as 40 gal or less is very broad ie. big in size, since the very first "nano" tank I saw
was set up in Aqua Oceans on Rte.9 near Toms River some 13-15 years ago!!! Basically, it was a glass 5 and a half gallon tank that Steve (the Owner) was filtering with a modified Supreme Hang-On-The-Back filter and that it housed some live rock and a few soft coals and mushrooms. That tank was up and running for years. I haven't been there or seen Steve in a number of years, so I don't know if he still has that setup.

Note: Back then a 30 gallon tank of any kind was considered a large aquarium. Hence my difficulty in seeing anything above 20 gallons as being "nano".

Dom

I have a 29G tank that is hooked up to a sump and I think my total water volume is between 40-50 gallons but I do not know any more then that. Am I an nano keeper?

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Nope. You're big time with all that water.

That's like 3x the volume of my tank, and I'm pushing the nano-limits!

:)

PS - Frilly shroom and frogspawn still lovin' life! :)

Actually it is stated on more then one site that the definition of a nano is anything less then 20Gallons. The header for this forum should really read "all in ones" but since most all in ones now go up to about 34 gallons and is a stand alone little system the idea of a nano on this forum being anything less then 40 gallons made sense. Not to mention that most people that are in the NJRC have tanks over 200, or close to it. So..... 40 gallons or less to those folks would really be nano.. heh..

I actually asked for 40 gallons or less, figuring that there would be at least a little following of people. If we would have limited it to 20 gallons and less there would be like 5 people in this forum. lol

IMO i would say that it should be judged on total water volume because more water = more room for error and easier to keep stable over time.

i myself keep two 20 gal individual tanks , 1 is a mixed reef and the other is a frag tank. i consider them mini-size because i can use standard equipment for small tanks...nano's in my opinion is anything smaller then that because you almost always have to mod. something/everything to get it to fit or work efficiently in those small dimentions. and although a 20 gal tank is tough to maintain, those in the 3-10 gal range need extral special care and are thus more difficult.
just my .02....happy reefing ....al

My original question was more of a joking question, but I would agree that if I plumbed it to my 120 and sump it wouldn't be a nano .. It would be easier though and I would only do one water change instead of a couple.

I still like the idea. I purchased the 28or29? gallon Bio-Cube from Aquatic Obsessions and Will is nice enough to let me leave it there until I'm ready to set it up at my house.

I think I'm going to go with a seahorse tank in the Bio-Cube. I'll mod it for slower flow and I'll have to drill the back.

I'm thinking of doing a ricodia/seahorse tank.

Anyone know what kind(if any) fish I can keep with seahorses? Maybe I'll put my Helfrichi firefish with them ... don't know how I would catch him though.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I was thinking about tying a seahorse tank into my main system but was advised against it. They prefer a lower temp than where our systems are generally kept and don't do too well long term. That's what I was told by what I would consider a very reliable source (PanManMatt, our resident seahorse expert) but you may want to do your own research.

jazzsam said:
mynd said:
I think that anything between 0 and 10 is considered pico.

0???? If you tank is 0 gallons I think it should have a different name...... EMPTY!

It was easier for me to write 0 then to get into fractions of a gallon. Believe it or not I have seen a lightbulb reef tank. That can't be more then a few ounces.

JohnS_323 said:
I was thinking about tying a seahorse tank into my main system but was advised against it. They prefer a lower temp than where our systems are generally kept and don't do too well long term. That's what I was told by what I would consider a very reliable source (PanManMatt, our resident seahorse expert) but you may want to do your own research.

Thanks John, I will look into it more but I actually got the idea from this video http://www.reefvideos.com/ 3rd row/ 2nd from the left ... check it out. He keeps his tank at 83 or 84 degrees. This is the only reason why I figured i'd give it a try.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That was a pretty cool video. Man those rics were suh-weeeeeeeeet!

I could be wrong on what Matt told me. I know there was some reason I opted not to go that route. You may want to touch base with him and let him know you're plan. He's a wealth of good info and I'm sure can help you out.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NapoliNewJersey said:
JohnS_323 said:

Thanks John, I will look into it more but I actually got the idea from this video http://www.reefvideos.com/ 3rd row/ 2nd from the left ... check it out. He keeps his tank at 83 or 84 degrees. This is the only reason why I figured i'd give it a try.

Have you contacted the gentleman to see how his long term success was with that tank?

I can tell you that it will not work long term. At those temperatures it is not a matter of "if", but more likely "when" you will have problems. This is coming from first hand experience and countless hourse spent reading and helping folks treat sick seahorses. If you want to see for your self, check out the "Emergency" forum over at Seahorse.Org and you will see that at least 80% of the cases all have temperatures above 75-76 degrees. The summer is our busiest time of the year there just due to elevated tank temperatures.

The reason behind the lower temperatures, 72-74 for tropical species, is that at normal reef temperatures bacteria reproduce at very high rates. Yes a healthy seahorse can fight off these bacteria, but the slightest stressor will let the bacteria get a foothold and the fight is on to save the horse. Seahorses don't take stress very well and it can be caused by a number of things such as poor diet, poor water quality, inappropriate tank mates, tank in a high traffic area, too much light, too much flow in the tank, poor stock to start with and many others.

You can use the Bio-cube for a seahorse tank, just be sure to address the temperature issue and do plenty of research and you could have many happy years of keeping seahorses.

John, you type faster than I do. We were posting at the same time.

I didn't know about the temp issue. Like I said I havn't really researched anything as of yet .. the Bio-cube is still at the store.haha.

I will definately start reading when I'm ready. But from what the video has and what I've heard there is alot wrong with his set up that I'm now learning.

a. he has a damsel + clown fish in with the seahorses which will out-compete them for food.
b. what you tell me about the temp issue.
c. he has 4 pairs (8 horses) in a tank that is only 32 gallons.

But all that said he does say things like his horses lay eggs every 14days and he's had the tank for months. Not sure how long or how succesful he has been but I saw the tank and thought it was something cool to try. But I wouldn't want to do it if it's something that isn't standard ... meaning if he's getting lucky, that doesn't mean i'll be lucky so I doubt i'll attempt it.

Thanks for the info guys.