• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Is my open brain gunna make it?

Right before i moved it to my new tank i noticed it's skeliton was starting to show. I'm just wondering if it's going to be alright or not... I don't know what happend to it... The right side looks good i just don't understand...

0322081901.jpg

Thank you,

Nick

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Some combination of light/flow/food/magnesium is off. Is a powerhead blowing on it or another coral stinging it? It can recover that skeletin if whatever bothering it stops.

malulu

NJRC Member
no one know for how long they would be back to normal - all you need to to do, is to keep an eye on it everyday, you should see the sign of getting better or worse...

i got one from some one in a VERY bad shape (the skeleton was visible on all sides),
in the begining, it was the size of a $0.25 quarter, i feed him with pellet fish food, then once a week, i feed him with chopped silverside.
after i keep feeding him, he is about 3 inch now (after 2 years).

just make sure not a lots of flow, and when you have difficulty about feeding due to the flow, use a cut off (top/bottm) 2 liters soda bottles, stick the bottle in the sand surrounding the coral, then feed it, the food should stay in...

good luck, they are nice coral.

I've always kept him in the sand. I haven't notice it getting any worse although it doesn't look any better. It has been opening it's mouth more i notice when i turn the lights on the one is open. It wasn't opening before... So hopefully it's getting better... I am keeping it half way under a shelf rock which i don't think gets alot of flow so hopefully i start to notice improvements. :(

Thanks guys,

Nick

Try feeding a little while after lights out.

Selcon is something else you can try soaking the food in. Start with smaller chunks of food until it gets going.

jonathan. said:
I used Spectrum to nurse a coral almost like that back to health. I think you can get him better.

off-topic - welcome to njrc jonathan!

nick - any luck feeding it?

Finally got it to eat the other day. I noticed a few of it's stingers were out! So i threw in a piece of silver side and watched it eat. So this is a good thing. Will feed it something better like mysis shrimp or something...

malulu

NJRC Member
the stingers be out mostly in night time, after the light was off... you can see it more in the early morning before the light comes on.

In the past when I had an injured coral, I would feed a little bit and wait for the coral to react "open up" and then feed again. It makes it easier than waiting to see the coral open on its own.