• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jawfish wants to eat new goby...

Long story short, I attempted to add a yellow headed jawfish to my 70g a couple weeks ago. The other fish decided she wasn't welcomed and after chasing her into the overflow 2x and trying for a third I pulled her out. She's back in my qt awaiting for me to set up a biocube in the next week or two for her. I recently lost my green banded goby in my aquapod so I figured that would be a good choice for a 2nd fish in with the jawfish since the jawfish is shy and my green banded before was so personable. I called AO today and they said they had a green banded so I drove over and got one, honestly I didn't even look at the size just told them to bag one up while I was browsing. So I get home and.. hey where is the goby? Is this an empty bag? Nope just the tiniest little goby I've ever seen...

Acclimate him over and release him into the tank with the jawfish. He's bouncing around adorably and out pokes the jawfish head, she gets "that look" and went to EAT the goby!!! I quickly waved my hand at the tank and scared her back... though she kept poking it out planning her next launch. I'm freaking out and I grab the net and net the little goby.

Best I have is one of those mesh box things used for fry etc, I get the goby into it (still in the tank with the jawfish) and add some rubble so it can have a place to sit. So now I'm not sure what to do, I have no doubt the jawfish will have a $25 snack if I let it out of the net box. Can it stay in there a couple weeks until the biocube is up and running (then it would have the qt to itself) or should I dig the 3g I know I have in my garage out and get that running with water and some rubble from my main tank? Figure it's going to be awhile before it's big enough not to be a snack.

Anyone else ever have a jawfish or similar that tried to eat a smaller fish?

no experience but do you mind if I ask for a pic of the jawfish compared to a pic of the new fish? curious on the size difference.

I can try to get some photos later, the jawfish is normal sized.. what you'd expect to see in someone's tank. The green banded.. well it's TINY, they are normally a small fish but this one is the smallest fish I've ever had that wasn't a fry LOL If you're familiar with Hikari S pellets, which even my little yellow clown goby has eaten since I got him (and I thought he was small) this little guy can't even eat a piece, its far to big for him. I've had to use cyclopeez and crushed flake/pellet to get him to eat anything. Healthy looking though and adorable just tiny. Would easily fit into the jawfish mouth.. heck I think the firefish in my other tank could eat it!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
No experience with those particular fish. But I have kept fish in a plastic container with holes in my main tank for 2/3 weeks with no problems. Just feed it in there and ensure the conatiner doesn't get to dirty. You can then concentrate on the bio-cube setup.

Mark: thanks for the info, so far it seems to be doing well... I can't get over how tiny this fish is! If you guys remember how small my yellow clown goby is, the green banded is about 1/2 its size. He seems fine in the mesh thing, I think I'll just do a gallon a day swap with my 70g to make sure I keep the water as clean as possible.

Roy: Thanks!!! I picked up the little light I'll use for the fuge I'm planning in the back chamber today at lowes. I can't wait to get started on it! Priming and painting the stand I'll use for it tonight!

I was at AO and saw your little greenbanded . When I bought mine he was the same size as that ,maybe a tad bigger .. I saw him for a few days and then he disappeared. I figured he was lunch for someone . I bought it because my daughter said it was the smallest and cutest fish she ever saw . ::)
I just rearranged some rock and now he is out and about in one little area all the time . It was about a year since I had seen him. They do not get much bigger than that. Mine is still less than an inch long. I also have 2 jawfish in the tank and think he is too fast for them . Just give the greenbanded enough rock work and hiding places and he should be fine,I hope .. ;D

Glad yours survived! I had one (died about 2 weeks ago, no apparent cause so I'm guessing old age) I had him for over 2 yrs and even when I bought him he was vastly bigger then the new one, great little fish though. I hope Bert #2 does well and is with us even longer since he's obviously younger. I think I'll give him a few months before I put them in the same tank together... this little GBG was oblivious and was bouncing right into the jawfish's tunnel.