• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

King/Queen of the tank

are there 2 types of kole? my yellow eye is not aggressive towards other fish. never had a problem (goldring Bristletooth) spots on head section stripes on body yellow eyes

Subliminal

NJRC Member
If you don't have ich in your tank, and you quarantine your fish before he goes in, so he doesn't bring ich, I think it's fairly safe to say you won't have ich problems in your tank.

If you don't let it get in, it shouldn't be there. I know some believe that it's 'always present', but that seems a bit silly to me.

:)

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think the "ever present" misnomer is because it isn't just FISH you need to quarentine. You also need to QT any coral/snail/hermit/etc that has been with fish in the last 6 to 8 weeks. And QTing the fish doesn't guarntee they don't bring ICH into your system. You actually have to TREAT the fish in order to ensure you're not bringing in Ich.

Most people just watch the fish for the 6 weeks, if they do anything at all, and corals are rarely QTd, though I'd highly recommend the process, ESPECIALLY for corals.

Update:

I went with the Kole (Yellow eye) Tang.

I had her in QT (hypo salinity) for about 6 weeks. She contracted Ich (2 spots) within
the first 2 days in QT. I dosed the tank with 1/2 the required mount of copper/gal
for the first 3 weeks the stopped. The Ich seem to drop off within 2 weeks but left scaring.
Scaring showed noticeable healing by the end of 4 weeks.

Fed her Sea Veggies and algae pellets. She would not eat Romaine, Brine or Mysis shrimp
while in QT. She kept the glass quite clean of algae.

After 6 weeks. She was looking a little stressed and really need to get out of QT. Probably because
of her picky diet. I added her to the display tank and she spent most of the first 5 days
hiding out between the Rocks. After that she adapted pretty well. I'm pretty sure another spot appeared
on her about 2 days after adding her to the tank but I think the cleaner shrimp took care of business.
Now she's not that shy. Get's on well with her tank mates. She like to surf in
the flow from one of my circulation pumps.

Thank you all for your input and thanks to Tangdude for encouragement.
I was so fearful that it would develop Ich and hose the rest of my fish.

Thanks for your input

Once your kole is fully acclimated it will quickly become one of your favorites. they are are great additions to any tank. awsome algae eaters get along great with most anything else and look good too. feed it a variety of veggie food, mysis, algae sheets etc. soaking your food in garlic will help entice it to eat and help build its immune system. enjoy and good luck

tangdude said:
Once your kole is fully acclimated it will quickly become one of your favorites. they are are great additions to any tank. awsome algae eaters get along great with most anything else and look good too. feed it a variety of veggie food, mysis, algae sheets etc. soaking your food in garlic will help entice it to eat and help build its immune system. enjoy and good luck

i agree 100%. i have a purple (my king of the tank), a yellow, and kole. the kole is the most active. it fun to watch them take turns pecking the algae sheets.