• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kole Tang's not eating/catching an angel

Hi - I made a stop by a shop and picked up a very nice Kole Tang, along with a smaller yellow the night before last, but unfortunately he is not looking to interested in eating a thing. I've been using J. Sprung's red and green sheets, along with a green flake food. I also have/ a bunch of hair algae I was hoping he'd munch. Any other suggestions?

It looks like the resident Elbei angel is challenging both of them some. While the yellow is eating some, the Kole tank seems to rattled. I'd prefer to remove the angel, though I've never had to catch a fish without yanking the rock. Could I get suggestions? This angel is finicky, so I can't see baiting to swim out with a net in the tank. I am having visions of finding him floating soon which is a crappy feeling!

What size is your tank? .... and , how long have the tangs been in it?

Chances are, the angel will settle down, my coral beauty does the same thing to all new additions and then chills after aday or two and in a few instances it took a week or so for him to back off. The dwarf angels are all a little nutty, they think they own the reef!

My yellow took several days to settle down and start eating, my rabbit even longer, give them some time to acclimate and offer some frozen misyds shrimp, I've yet to find anyone who can resist that for more than a feeding or two before they start tasting it too.

As for catching a dwarf angle, hmmm, the last two fish I remove from a tank always seem to be the coral beauty and the psuedochromis as they just will not be caught without total disruption of the tank, but that's just my CB maybe you'll get lucky.

I can only comment on the Kole. Give him time. Mine was a nervous wreck when I first put him in. It took him quite a while (a week or so) to calm down a little. Try adding some garlic to the food, and step back after putting food in the tank so he doesn't see you. :)

---
Wendy

Thanks guys - I will give it some time. To be honest he is doing alright, just a little funny, but to me that's enough to be careful. I also noticed that his stomach is already sunk in pretty badly after a one day. I wish I had seen that at the shop, although I only had to hint that I was interested in him and he was already in a bag after I turned away for a moment!

I have put one of these 'to rest' previously and a friend had the same thing happen....(they just never ate), so I am more then a little anxious. If this angel doesn't settle down, I will find him a new home without hesitation!

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I made a fish trap to catch a tang. I caught every fish in the tank in 48 hours. Of course the tang was the very last. I made it out of plastic crate and twisty ties. I still have it if you need it. Just put their favorite food in there and no place else.

Hey everyone - No, he hasn't eaten a thing yet that I can see. (4.5 days) I keep loaded up the green strip food in the clips, but I think the angel has been feasting on it exclusively. I have also gone heavier on the flake food, but he's not interested in that either.I tried to call a friend to see if he could hold the angel in his sump, but couldn't connect.

He seems very at peace and roaming the tank, but I can see he's wobbly and weak in the current. I plan to remove all the rock and the angel tomorrow and bring it to a lfs.

Mav...where are you located? I have some flexibility tomorrow as a work out of here in Boonton. I am thinking about taking Friday off as well.
Thanks

As an update, the Kole is still going strong. The only time I ever saw him eat was when he gobbled up some dung from the angel. :p I think he must be nibbling something as his stomach does not look as sunk in. This stupid angel is still harassing him, so I have taken him for a trip to the LFS tomorrow. Overall, it's thumb's up so far. If I had lost a second tang in a week, I would have been rattled!

I also finally found some unseasoned dried Noori at a market and will try this tomorrow.
Thanks for the support everyone!