• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lateral Line

My Achilles Tang is showing signs of Lateral Line Disease. Has anyone dealt with this in the past? Before I go searching on the internet and take some advise from anyone, i'd rather get it from someone here that's dealt with it.

I had a yellow tang that got it in my old 55. I added a grounding probe and it went away. I thought sometimes i can be due to stray electricity.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
ReeferNets said:
I had a yellow tang that got it in my old 55. I added a grounding probe and it went away. I thought sometimes i can be due to stray electricity.
I agree with the grounding probe.
I bought a sohol tang with a BAD case of this from a LFS to give the fish a chance.It cleared up after feeding it broccoli that I microwaved for about 30 seconds soft but still crisp.
I have pics somewhere if I find them I'll post progress.

I got the ground probe just incase.

I'm also going to feed daily with selcon and i'll feed nori/seaweed daily.

I'm also doing the VC dosing which i started today. Hopefully I can save him.

malulu

NJRC Member
just a note about ground probe, would it really have to be a ground probe? or something similar would be fine? like a titanium-heater, it is metal and already properly grounded?
:D

mike - I just read this article...interesting (but long read).

If you want to jump to the conclusion it's this:
I agree with the broad recommendations of Terry Bartelme: reduce stress, improve nutritional regime, add vitamins and HUFA supplements to the diet, enhance water quality and also try beta glucan and garlic. Those same things have almost always worked for me when I have had an occurrence of MHLLE in the fish I care for, and hopefully they will work for you.

Marine Head and Lateral Line Erosion By Steven Pro

Thanks guys. I'm hoping everything i'm doing is enough to see a change. It started very small and in less than a week it's doubled along the lateral line. I should know pretty quick if it's working or getting worse. I'll keep you posted.

i had a koran angel with this disease before. Really scared me in the first, but then I got a grounding probe and in 3 weeks time everything was back to normal. I have pics somewhere, lemme see....

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wouldn't garlic help. I used to hang cloves in my 55g when I saw signs if ich. Cleared up in nless than a week. I replaced the cloves every 2 or 3 days.

Garlic to my knowledge is good when the disease is parasitic like ick. I thin lateral line disease is just their immune system breaking down due to nutritional defect or in some cases electricity causing stress.... IMHO only.

NJ_ychung1 said:
Garlic to my knowledge is good when the disease is parasitic like ick. I thin lateral line disease is just their immune system breaking down due to nutritional defect or in some cases electricity causing stress.... IMHO only.

i second that notion.

i, too, had a yellow tang in my old 55g that had hlle. i added a ground probe, but that didnt solve the problem. i tried a few other remedies, but nothing helped him.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
But Garlic is a known immune system boost, so in theory, adding garlic should encourage them to feed, stimulate their appetite and boost their immune system all at the same time.

Phyl said:
But Garlic is a known immune system boost, so in theory, adding garlic should encourage them to feed, stimulate their appetite and boost their immune system all at the same time.

I'm surprised retailers don't jump on the bandwagon and start selling everything with it..

if i saw cylopeeze "new and improved with garlic" - i'd be all over that. :)