• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

leds for a biocube

john90009

NJRC Member
Well I may get back into the hobby with a oceanic 29g. If anything imam get the
steves led kit. my question is, I used to run 250 radiums on a galaxy ballast
over my old tank - can anyone help me with a color combo that will get me this
but also throw in some reds or whatever to get that vho/actinic pop if I ever
plan on going high-end sps and want to see some popping colors.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Generally speaking it seems that a 2:1 blue to white ratio will get you to about 14-16k which still might be a bit white for you. However, with the dimability of LEDs and the controllability, you can really create any color you want. If you run them at 100% though it will probably not be blue enough for you. Also you were talking about greens and reds which will change the color as well as purple and uv leds, plus the fact there are several different white colors you can run as well. How many bulbs total are you looking to run in the fixture?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's a quality kit and I'm sure it will be good enough to grow anything in the 29g.

It's dimmable but not controllable... meaning you have to manually adjust each channel by hand instead of programming it in.

For a retro kit though, it's probably the best you will find.

The new RAZR's are pretty nice too.

john90009

NJRC Member
with the upgrades that img oing to put into the steves leds its gonna be near 400- so imstuck with a internal debate of keep the tank look nice with a hood and go with steves- or get a new ai hydra which they said has a nicer vho look to it which is one of my man likes. i doubt i will be able to fit it in the hood or anything so my evap rates will go up and i will have to deal with jumpers.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I too went through the cost comparison conundrum when I considered LEDs for a JBJ 28. I decided to build my own canopy that would fit a “Chinese” fixture. I went with a Reefbreeders 120 W fixture and am very happy. HERE’s the DIY for building the canopy.

john90009

NJRC Member
nice build- im really aiming towards the hydra- if imma do any sort of led fixture imma have to modify the hood in some way. just got the tank up and running today with dry sand live rock water - gonna try to find someone local who can trade a cup of sand from a mature system. feels good to have my feet wet and arms salty again.