• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lets talk plumbing!

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So I want to tie my tank into the room behind it and move the sump/skimmer in there and add a refugium and frag tank in that room also.

The tank has two 1" drains and I want to combine them into one to minimize the plumbing I have to run to the room behind it. I believe the math for plumbing is not standard addition and 1"+1"=1.5"?

I have to run the pvc through the 2x4's in the wall. I would rather drill holes for 1.5" PVC, and not 2", if I can get away with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh geez. Going back to math class. Uhhh pi x R^2? So 1.5^2 x 3.14=7.065 and (1^2 x 3.14)x 2= 6.28, so it would seem that 1, 1.5" pipe is larger than 2, 1" pipes.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oh geez. Going back to math class. Uhhh pi x R^2? So 1.5^2 x 3.14=7.065 and (1^2 x 3.14)x 2= 6.28, so it would seem that 1, 1.5" pipe is larger than 2, 1" pipes.

ATL Beat me to it, but his math is a little off...he used D not R.

If you throw friction and surface area effects out the window and only look at cross-sectional areas (Pie-R-Squared)

So for the 1 inch pipe:

3.14 x (0.5)[SUP]2[/SUP] = 0.79 in[SUP]2[/SUP]

and since you have two 1 inch pipes, 1.6 in[SUP]2[/SUP]

And for the 1 ½ inch pipe:

3.14 x (0.75)[SUP] 2[/SUP] = 1.8 in[SUP]2[/SUP]

And now you can see that two 1 inch pipes with “fit” into one 1 ½ inch pipe with a little room to spare.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NUTS. the 1.5" pipe is still bigger though.

Yep….the math still shows that two 1 inch pipes “fit” into one 1 ½ inch pipe…so you get partial credit for the correct math formula and logic, and a couple points off for having the wrong numbers. :grin:

All good stuff!

Yep….the math still shows that two 1 inch pipes “fit” into one 1 ½ inch pipe…so you get partial credit for the correct math formula and logic, and a couple points off for having the wrong numbers. :grin:

All good stuff!

Just like back in math class...man, I knew there was a reason I had to take algebra twice.

Lol. Very good! 2" would be overkill which wouldn't be a bad thing but certainly 1.5 would work for sure. Use a 1.5 sanitary or sweep tee and reducing bushings to accept the 1" pipe and send it through the wall. Done deal.