• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting for tech tank 70

I've decided to upgrade my tank finally and will go with an Oceanic Tech Tank 70 gallon. The Dimentions are L 36.5 x W 18.5 x H 25.

I have a 20L that i will be using for a sump and need to find a light for the tank. I dont think that there is a hood designed for this tank? so im looking for either 2 reflector pendants like the Lumenmax or something (dunno if that would be overkill) or a HQI/T5 pendant like the Orbit Pro.
I was debating T5's but i really like the MH shimmer.
Anyone have any ideas on how to light this tank?

I think i might splurge for the outer orbit. I like having the actinics and without having a hood for the tech tanks i cant really retrofit a set of actinics if i go for the lumenarcs.

Also in other news i just purchased a couple month old AquaC EV-120 with a Mag 7. Im pretty sure that will be good for a 70gal tank w/ 20g sump and probably a medium bioload.

Any input is appreciated since this will be my first decent sized tank... going from my 29

X,

I have basically the same setup as you. I just got my 58G Oceanic and also running AquaC EV-120. I put a Mag-9 on it (no Mag 7 laying around) and have it a little more than half open on the ball valve. I just did the dry run test today and no leaks and anti-siphons work, etc. I got a MH with VHO in a custom canopy but couldn't get the VHO going more than 2 seconds. Giving up and gonna get the outer orbit MH/T5 combo. Now I don't have this running yet but I can tell you my main tank got pretty hot over the summer and I only ran T5. All my pumps were external and on this one, everything is submersible pumps. I'm using a 20H as my sump. If you're going 20L, why not just grab a 29 as the sump (or is that too high?) What's your stock list going to look like?

I dont really know on the stock list yet, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of the 2 clowns i currently have, the 6line, and maybe a kole tang. thats all im sure on right now tho. Im open to any suggestions tho :p idk what i CAN put in there. i love tangs and all but i dont want to put something in there that the tang police would bust my door down for having.

i wanna go MH for the shimmer that i love oh so much... Heat wont really be a problem, my basement is so cold all year round i need 2 150w heaters on my 29g tank to keep it over 78.

The 20L i already have set up from my current tank which is why i would just re-use it and use the fuge section for the skimmer. I think the 29 might be too high which is why i went with the length of the L in the first place for this tank. Lemme know where you get your outer orbit from as well and how much if you dont mind :p AQ Center is the only place around here with them and i think their price for the 2x 150w version is like 760ish.

Im setting up a tech 70 also
im thinking of going with the catalina 8 bulb t5 retrofit or maybe led the funds is everything with that and I have to watch heat on my tank
it in the basement but i usually have to run a fan on my 20 gal during the summer months
Trying at all costs to avoid a chiller

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a 36" Outer Orbit Pro 2x 150w MH, 4 X 39w T5s. I love the fixture. The Mhs do generate some heat but I have it on a AC Jr which shutdown the MHs at a certain temp and leave just the T5s on. You may want to go for the 250w version with a 25" depth.

Bob

Ive read a couple of build threads and ppl have said that the 150 is fine for the tank. im not going to be keeping 100% sps, so i dont want to fry lower light acans or an occasional softie so i think i will go with 150's.

From the pictures I've seen, the tech series has a center overflow that extends all the way up. I don't see pictures of an Ultimate with an overflow but I know you can get one with it. Just curious because the Ultimate is way cheaper than the Tech. You would think the Ultimate was the top of the line tank from Oceanic.

I found that light used for a couple hundred with new bulbs is why. if worst comes to worst i will be spending the 750 for the outer orbit.

JF,

I saw that already. Customer Service is useless; site is very nondescript. Can't get a catalogue. Most places will have to special order so can't see it, etc. I see the overflow is standard on tech and as sgarron said, can see tech is eurobraced and ultimate has a center brace. Looking at online prices, it's about $400 for 70G ultimate as compared to $800 for a 70G Tech. Very odd I think. Not in the market for a tank but was just curious why the difference in price.