• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

live rock in over flow

this may be a really dumb question but i was wondering if i could put live rock in my corner overflow to add more rock to the tank with redoing my rock scape.

my current setup if 56 gallon rr column with a wet/dry filter that i converted to a sump. i like my rockscape it setup like a cave but with 3 pillar rocks and my rocks making like a wall. i do have corals/frags on all of my lr and re organizing it will be a nightmare i have tried and its not fun. if the wet/dry converted to 2 chambers. i still you a micron filter in the tray along with rowan phosban(about a month now)? i blocked off the bottom with plexglass to fill up where the bioballs were with a 6" dsb and have like 2 pounds of l.r rubble.the top has like 1/2" holes going across the top.that drians into the next section but i was trying to utilize a algae scrubber (never really growing anything good just like different shades of green slime like algae).... in the next section i have ph probe, temp and salinty probs for my reef angel, long with a power head feeding my brs gfo/carbon canisters, chaeto and some other macro algae(again not really glowing but staying green) and piece of plexiglass to get rid of micro bubbles then my skimmer and return pump.

i have been having a problem with h/a in my tank when i test my parameters with test kit it always shows ph 8.2, salimity 34.7-35ppm, nitrite 0, amon 0, nitrate 0, phos 0. dkh 7,
i cut down feeding about 6 weeks ago to every 3rd day(before that once a day) cut down lighting to 5 hours(was like 71/2) leds controlled my r/a sunrise/set features,

the algae was growing like crazy even after cutting back everything i tried beefing up my cuc didnt help, algae blenny no help, lettus nudibranch helped but he was so slow so last week i put in a sea hare and hes doing a hell of a job in a little over a week he has 80% of it gone but the first spot he cleaned it started growing back. i was removing rock to clean off the rocks but after a few days it was back.

im hoping by adding the more like rock to the system it will help cut down on the stuff in my water even though it tests with api kits as zero it has to be there to be fueling the growth.

my tank is about a year old and has definately had its ups and DOWNS lol thanks for your feed back.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You could probably add a few long, skinny pieces that would be easy to pull out and rinse off occasionally (say every water change?). But honestly, I don't think adding a couple extra lbs. of live rock is going to fix your hair algae problem.

You need to find out what the source of your phosphate and nitrates are coming from and correct that first. I know your test kits are showing them as zero, but the HA can't grow without those nutrients... so it's in there. It may be leaching out of your live rock, or getting added via other things (food, etc.)

I'd suggest a big water change as your first step. Maybe 30-40 % if possible. Also, I'd clean out all that slime algae growing in the sump and trim your chaeto (if it's a large clump). Another thing to consider is: How long has it been since you changed out your carbon/gfo media? If it's over a month, I'd say change that too and then add slightly more of each than you usually do in the canisters.

Do all that and see if the HA starts to fade on you.

You could probably add a few long, skinny pieces that would be easy to pull out and rinse off occasionally (say every water change?). But honestly, I don't think adding a couple extra lbs. of live rock is going to fix your hair algae problem.

You need to find out what the source of your phosphate and nitrates are coming from and correct that first. I know your test kits are showing them as zero, but the HA can't grow without those nutrients... so it's in there. It may be leaching out of your live rock, or getting added via other things (food, etc.)

I'd suggest a big water change as your first step. Maybe 30-40 % if possible. Also, I'd clean out all that slime algae growing in the sump and trim your chaeto (if it's a large clump). Another thing to consider is: How long has it been since you changed out your carbon/gfo media? If it's over a month, I'd say change that too and then add slightly more of each than you usually do in the canisters.

Do all that and see if the HA starts to fade on you.
This is good advice. Also how are you doing your WCs? I like to turn off all of my pumps and blow out the rocks with a turkey baster. You'd be surprised how much detritus is hiding in the rock. I would also manually try to remove as much of the GHA as possible during WC. When I had this problem, I rubberbanded a toothbrush to the end of my siphon hose and sucked it out.

thanks for the info i have done several 50%+ wc i didnt know about upping the amount of gfo and carbon...reading reviews of others who use brs the said they use the calculator on the website and couldnt beleive how quick the algae stopped showing up on glass and i have never not even one day where i dont have to wipe the glass i will be doing that tomorrow. when i first got the brs reactor i changed media after 2 weeks and i was planning every 3 weeks which would be next monday but i will do it early and up the amount both gfo and carbon. the cheato doesnt grow at all it seams

as for how i do water changes i use my hand to stir the ditrius off of the live rock the turkey baster didnt seem to do a good job i also thought of just buying a very larger power head so i stop using my hands

so my sea hare died today....looking at the algae its long brown like hair algae but it has little bubbles in it. is this gha or something different?