• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for advice/ideas...

All,

I've been in the hobby (primarily fish only) since I was single digits...one of my dreams was to have a reef tank large enough hold a leopard shark and a sting ray. I may have mentioned this idea in the past, but now I'm finally in the stages of putting some plans together.

To make this project work I'll be breaking down my 120 to upgrade to this tank....

Again, this are just ideas, I am surely in need of expertise and advise...
  • oval tank, about 400 gallons, roughly 2ft high and 2-3ft deep.
  • the room it will be going in is on a concrete slab, just offset above the basement, all pluming will go direct to basement
  • the tank will have 2 or 3 structures of live rock, each lit by leds, all other areas will hopefully be a bit shadowed
  • Equipment ideas
    • 75-100g sump w/ fuge
    • monster skimmer (reef octo or my reef creations probably)
    • carbon & gfo reactor
    • most likely ecotech radions, but considering others
  • Tank is going to be open, low energy, primarily soft coral and lps
That's about all I have so far... to be honest I'm not even sure where to begin..

• Are their companies or people that can help design/build something like this? any advice is appreciated....

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would begin with the tank, i'm sure there are plenty of shops out there that will do a custom oval, it will not be cheap though. 2 feet deep would be enough for them, as long as the tank is large enough for them to roam about in. I'm not sure the size of a leopard shark, but i would want a tank thats at least 3x in length for their full grown size.