• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for ideas

I am getting ready to redo my 70 tec tank and I am looking for ideas. The tank is sitting in the corner of the corner of the room and is really only visible from the front and left side. The right side is 7" from the wall. I was thinking about blacking out that right side and possibly moving some rock work over there so it will kind of wrap around the tank. I have also been thinking about a possible closed loop system to eliminate the power heads from the display. The tank is a bit on the small side so the power heads take up room. The down fall to this from what I have been reading will be power consumption. Another Idea I was thinking about is to add piping under my sand bed with exits to help create more random flow. By doing this I realize a check valve would be needed as well as a hole near the surface to break the siphon in case of power loss. What is everyones recommendation?

I agree with Bob on the check valves.Closed loop would be a nice option,or hide the powerheads behind rockwork..OR Melv had a setup with a mag pump you could check out..

I am not sure of the idea of blacking out the right side - as in like with a piece of black background? Whatever you try do not do it permanently as it will make re-sale of the tank (if that ever occurred) to be difficult.

7" is a lot of space imho. You could set a single vortech on that side.

I was thinking about using black vinyl on the outside to black out the side. You cannot really see anythign on that side which is why I was thinking that. I agree with the check valve, it would definatly suck to have the tank drain on the floor.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with the check valves.
As far as blacking out the right side, I’ve use that poster board (sign board) that looks like corrugated cardboard, but it is made of a plastic material. I’ve spray painted it black and currently use it as a backdrop for a 40 gallon freshwater tank. You can’t tell that it is a separate board. It looks like the back of the tank was painted. That would certainly word for blacking out the right side of your tank.

You can find this board at art supply stores or craft stores.