• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for Tank pictures

I used the Oolite sand...first day or so got some sandstorm but then it calmed down.  I cannot go crazy cleaning the glass or I kick some up but otherwise no problem...I like the look of it.

I have lots of pictures in tale of the tank thread.

Tank shot
9-3-07001.jpg

That sand is too expensive IMO. What you want is caribbean play sand. This used to be the standard.
4-25-05001.jpg

{Fixed Pic link}

now i heard that the sand you have pictured is near impossible to get..? i might see if i can work a deal with a LFS to get 100lbs of base rock and 240lbs of sand for a decent price.. i mean i would consider that a bulk purchase..

i'll look in your tank thread by the way.. :)

You cannot find that sand anymore you are right ... unless someone who was hoarding it decides to sell
Here is my tank thread.
http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=11371.15

I looked at other playground sand, sand on eBay and others. But playground sand might have chemicals(though the green Crayola sand would a cool bottom ::)) and the eBay sand wasn't silicate free. So I ruled them out.

As experienced reefers like MikeM told me you are spending thousands on the tank, lights, skimmer and other equipment not to mention livestock why take a chance on crappy sand.

I bought 4x30lb @ $25 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10741+7321&pcatid=7321
and 1 40lb @ $35 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+10741+16764&pcatid=16764

So 135 bucks was really a drop in the beach bucket for safe sand(we chose the fine sand because both my wife and I liked it)

I wanted to have a 3" or so depth.. i'm just curious to weather the fine grain will pack more and not let a DSB do it's work by restricting the flow through it..

Too much rhetoric about sand IMO. If it says Caribbean and safe for kids it will be safe for your tank. There are many things we pay way too much for because it has a fish label on it. Many times the same item can be found at a fraction of the cost. Look at the price of DIY two part compared to a product someone else makes. You will have a difficult time finding the original Southdown but there are other products available. They are much easier to find in the spring compared to this time of year. Another rip off IMO is "live sand" that sits on a shelf in a plastic bag for months or longer.

Well you are probably right but I for one wasn't willing to take that chance with MY tank. Risk reward on that trade was too high.

ds4x4 I am not sure I understand.....with DSB you are looking to promote anaerobic bacteria. It does pack tighter though, there is a chart on how much of a particular sand you need to achieve different results. Since I started building my rocks directly on the bottom I ended up is a pretty DSB which I wanted and I didn't want any collapse of my structures either.

and i agree ^ but, i'm worried about the mold inhibitors and other chemicals that they put in the sand yet do not list. Fat Free doesn't mean all the bad stuff isn't their so why should Silica Free? It just seems that the advantages of knowing the sand you buy doesn't have the crud in it is worth the extra cost.

and to JR since you posted while i was typing :p

What i mean is that the Particles are smaller, so the space between them is closer and not letting water pass through as well.. i'm not sure that the size difference is great enough to make one better then the other. but it was worth questioning. I don't want to rip this big tank apart once it's together. Just trying to put my ducks in a row so things go smoothly.