• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lots of miniature starfish

My newest tank (setup about 9 months) now has a lot of tiny whitish starfish. Is this a problem? If so, how do I deal with it?

Thanks,
Ken

depends on who you ask.

google up asterina starfish and see if that is the image that matches your tank inhabitants.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It's not a problem. You can pick them out to keep the numbers down.

I seem to find that they move onto the glass when the lights are out overnight and you can pick them out with a tweezer. I did find they liked to eat my star polyps.

You'd better pay attention to them before it's out of control. I had a lot in my tank before and I found they prefer to stay at the bottom of Acros. And normally I can find dead spot where mini stars aggregate. I am not sure if the mini stars make the dead spot on Acros, or they just like to stay at dead spots.

Sean

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
check out this site look up aquarium pests on the left side of the page
i see them in my tank every now and then
don't bother anything that i can see
http://www.garf.org/
hope this helps

lol - perhaps I should have elaborated.

First of all - disclaimer - I am not stating this representing njrc, the officers, mods ;) My opinion only.

you have a simple choice. You could do your research on wetwebmedia, reefkeeping.com or even searching thru other forums (without being spammed for money for "research"). Or you could do it with garf.org where the aquarium pest list is aiptasia and asterina star fish...that's it (i guess they never heard of flatworms or redbugs or cirolanid isopods or xanthid crabs or coral eating fireworms etc.etc.etc.).

Lots of other vendors sell "patented" items - prodibio, zeo, etc. - but all of them don't pretend to be a "research foundation".

To me, garf represents the pinnacle of clever marketing. You can do yourself a favor by buying your cleanup crew from local vendors (or thru your club group buys), and you can get live sand from your fellow reefers - why pay hard money for so-called "grunge".

I could go on - but I think you get the point.

LOL! Ahh. I see.

Ok, I was thinking maybe there was some personal bad experience or something there.

I was just curious. I've never purchased anything from them, but I have used their site (in conjunction with others of course) and gotten some interesting ideas from there.

Thanks for elaborating. ;)