• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

low salinity from live aquaria?

ryanpal

NJRC Member
hey guys.

i just received my new arrivals from live aquaria. i did a salinity test and the refractometer shows around 1.020ish. i tested with RO water to make sure it was calibrated correctly (which shows 0).

anyone else have this experience? if there anything else i should check?

thanks

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ryanpal said:
hey guys.

i just received my new arrivals from live aquaria. i did a salinity test and the refractometer shows around 1.020ish. i tested with RO water to make sure it was calibrated correctly (which shows 0).

thanks

Unfortunately, that is somewhat typical of a lot of LFS's and online stores. Fish are less likely to be symptomatic of a parasite infestation at a lower salinity. Plus, the savings in salt add up over time.

JohnS_323 said:
ryanpal said:
hey guys.

thanks

Unfortunately, that is somewhat typical of a lot of LFS's and online stores. Fish are less likely to be symptomatic of a parasite infestation at a lower salinity. Plus, the savings in salt add up over time.

Very true. I keep our salinity at Petco at 1.020 as well.

That is pretty much standard practice to reduce stress.

Make sure you take your time and acclimate the new arrivals to prevent shocking them by a dramtic change in salinity.

That's one of the reasons why Liveaquaria highly recommends you drip acclimate. Trop does the same thing, last time I got a fish there and tested the water it was 1.019

you'll also find the PH is rather low also, 7.8-7.6
this is due to the small quantity of water in the bag and the ammonia waste the fish produces.
I've been told by a couple of wholesalers that fish aren't as active in lower PH.
not sure if I agree, but in any case take your time dripping any fish into your tank!

ryanpal

NJRC Member
i always drip acclimate. as a matter of fact i even dropped the salinity in the QT tanks so the change isn't too dramatic.

i'll slowly increase prior to putting in the main display tank