• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lunare Wrasse Aggresivness

1st post on here and wanted to get some feedback. I have a 6' 150 with a lunare wrasse. The rest of the stock list is pretty basic stuff. My question is about the wrasse--he seems to be a sneaky bully. I have never actually seen the behavior except to show some aggresiveness but I think he now started picking on the dorsal of my yellow tang. they are both about the same size. I dont have anything else in the tank that would be considered more aggressive than say 2 green cromis or a small coral beauty angel. Is this normal? Any input would be great as well as a possible solution...

Thanks!!
rob

WELCOME TO NJRC!!

unfortunately the lunare wrasse is nice when a juvie but does get aggressive with age. A fowlr is ideal for a lunare in my opinion. Are you keeping any inverts/corals?

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Welcome to NJRC!!

I had a lunare wrasse when I first started and they do tend to get more aggressive as they age. I ended up taking mine back to the LFS as it started attacking my other fish.

Thanks for the Welcomes!! So it looks like I may need to move my wrasse. I like him alot but have no intentions on letting him beat up my other tankmates.
Thanks for the info.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our lunare hasn't turned into a full fledged bully yet, but I can see it coming. It definitely decimates any inverts that go in the tank. We add astreas and it ties a little bib around its neck and goes to town.

I was at fish store a couple of months ago where the owner was trying to get one out of his main display. He was seeing the same thing as you, he had several tangs with chewed up fins.

Yeah, I think my biggest problem now is just to catch him. It just seems too coincidental the issues others seem to have with them.. Just a shame as he is a beautiful and very energetic fish.