• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Magnets

I'm looking to pick up some magnets to make use of the space on the overflow tower and back wall. I was looking at the nickel plated 5lb pull force that come in at 100 for $16.

Does anyone think the nickel plated is a bad idea?

I know there are epoxy coated magnets out there too, but they are a bit more and if the nickel is inert then it makes no point for the extra expense.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am not familiar with these magnets, but if it is nickel plated only, nickel does oxidize (laymen’s term – rusts). If it is a nickel – chromium alloy (around 80/20), oxidation is greatly reduced and could potentially be used in a saltwater environment. However, unless someone could confirm their experience with using nickel plated magnets in saltwater, I’d stick with the epoxy coated ones. Or another possibility, ask the manufacturer if they could take the saltwater environment!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
5lb pull force isn't going to be enough. The smallest magnets I have found that work have 19 lbs of pull force. If you want to use them on your over flow box I would suggest something 33-35 lbs pull force.

And yes you will need to encase the magnets in epoxy or else they will rust.