• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Magnificent Anemone

Not many of you are anemone fans but i am so heres the story LOL.

I went into OCG2 and saw a purple base green tentacles and a mouth that looked like a nipple. Id like to introduce you to my new Magnifica. Its sticky and it grabed some mysis when i fed my clowns this am. My male akinydos slept in it last night for about three hours. This is one of the hardest anemones to keep alive most succumb to infectiosn and internally begin to decompose.

Thank you Gary

Well see how it goes im nervous but excited i stumbled upon it.

Here it goes

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Congrats and GOOD LUCK! I hope it does really well for you. Keep us posted.

W O W - that baby looks huge already, and beautiful, too! I love anemones, but don't have the room and/or nerves for one. (Ja, believe that?)

Best of luck with it. :)

Have you had Magnificas before?

Make sure your flow is seriously heavy. They loooove heavy flow. And high light, obviously.

I have had a magnifica before. My flow is heavey since I already have a stichodactyla gigantea.

So far so good its eating mysis enriched with selcon. I'm praying a purple base is hard to find healthy

ReeferNets said:
I have had a magnifica before. My flow is heavey since I already have a stichodactyla gigantea.

So far so good its eating mysis enriched with selcon. I'm praying a purple base is hard to find healthy

I hope it works out for. I love them. I always wanted one but I haven't taken the dive. I never had a tank big enough (in my opinion) to keep one, anyways.

As soon as my light turn on fully ill take some new pics.

Day 2
No clown activity
Mouth is still tight and no deflation
Just ate about 15 mysis soaked in selcon(GOOOOOD SIGN)

Jon,
This is one of my favorite anemones to pretty much all of the larger hosting anemones are my favorite, Im not a fan occelaris or percula clowns. Because of demand we have thaquarium trades version of a LABRADOODLE in the picasso and jugsaw variants.

Most of the clown fishy with heavey white markings become food in the wild. They dont blend in too well.

Picture Update(Eating Sequence)
Pre Eating
IMG_1155.jpg

Just grabbed food
IMG_1156.jpg

Expansion of stomach to eat
IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

Almost Done
IMG_1161.jpg

Done and back to Normal
IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

Mouth is back to being tight and no signs of stress
IMG_1164.jpg

So far so good im a very happy camper

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad it is happy! You really should avoid trying to get so close with your photos... when you are inside the working distance for the camera you can't get focused pictures. A little further back seems to make for a better photo. Be sure that you're exactly perpendicular to the glass for the best photos.

UPDATE: Still looking happy healthy and a tight closed mouth

After the first initial feeding the anemone decided it doesnt like mysis anymore. It pooped on the 10th. This morning i tried to feed mysis to the anemone it gripped the food and slimed it up and got it to its mouth and as soon as it touched it began to release the food back. Most of what i have read says that these anemones usually catch chunks of fish and inverts that get eaten in a feeding frenzy.

So i decided to thaw out some of rods food at lunch and see how that works out.
Good news once again a peice of tiny squid a piece of krill and some other white meat were all consumed at lunch time. All about 2 to 3 centimeters around in a ball.

BTW it made its move up the glass like at the store and hasnt moved since sunday. Im going to try to find a small very smooth peice of live rock or an actually small place for it to grab on to. Most people have them on smooth surfaces which they seem to prefer.

I didnt have time to take pics of it eating this time but here are some pics after it began to rexpand.

End of food intake
IMG_1182.jpg

Reexpansion
IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

Good News anemone mouth was still tight

Bad News three hour power outage after i left and fed the magnifica. Fish slightly heavey breathing zoas closed. Its was 75 degrees. Everyhings working now and looks ok i did a three gallon water change and everything looks good. Ill find out in the am.

malulu

NJRC Member
Barry,

from all this posting... it really sounds like you are indeed in love with this *thing*...

I hope your girl friend will be jealous over this *thing*...
;D

I feel like crap everytime i lose something in my care. Especially since this is some so delicate and so beautiful. I have had a chance to buy a captive bred one for 500 dollars. Another reefer on RC has been cutting hers to propagate them. If you have the chance to find a hardy one with a chance its worth it.

This is the first i have gone to store on three different occasions and not once did i see the anemone delflated or shrunken down. The mouth was tight and looking good. Thats how you can tell if an anemone is happy it doesnt shrink down and expand alot. AO had a carpet anemone that looked great in fact i purchased the same color scheme one from The store up north that i shall not mention the name of. They both perished both times i saw those anemones at least once i viewed them there mouths were open and could see their guts. Will and i talked about the other Day anemones are so hard to keep especially mags and giganteas. Both have high flow requirements and i believe intense light not strong light.

Kim understands becase she knows if it lives theres another tank in our future that she will get to aquascape with a pair of latz clowns or nigripes and that mag and a puffer tank too.

Update

6th Day still looking tight and now shrinking down.

I am going to get some live rock this weekend and hope to assemble a pedestal like rock structuce to coherce it onto when its fully acclimated.