• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Majano takeover

what is the best way to dry my live rocks to kill all of my majano? should i put it in a bucket and let it sit there or should i bake them?

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've never done it but alot of people bake it. The rock will probably have to be cured again before you use it.

Bob

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Baking or boiling is going to create some NASTY smell. Although anyhting that you do to cause them to re-cycle is going to let off some awful smell. It would be interesting to see what would happen to a piece of that rock if you soaked in in super saturated Kalk solution. Would it have the same effect (since the ph is 13 or so) as boiling/baking without the use of your household pots and pans?

Phyl,

You would have the same effect but there wouldn't be as bad a smell. You won't know what might precipitate though. I think saturated kalk is pH 12 so it's not immediately caustic to the touch but I wouldn't go soaking my hands in it.

It's basically an oven that heats and pressurizes for sterilization. Standard method to sterilize glassware in a biological/chemical lab. It's like a fancy pressure cooker.