• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

may i ask a skimmer question?

hello i have been out of the hobby for some years and thinking about slowly starting it back up. I have an old sealife systems skimmer without a pump, i believe a seastorm. Its small but gonna be with 38g with 10g sump. Its main chamber is 2 1/2"Wx10"H, total height 16" plus a 1/2" inlet. If i remember correctly i used a Rio600 pump on it. My question is whats equivalent/good needle wheel pump for my heartless skimmer? any suggestions would be great.

thx, i did some searching and found a gen-x1000 pump, asm mini-g pump, or a comparable octopus pump. I know that asales pitch is almost always better then the product and thats why i posted, in search of knowledge and experience. I never played with a needle wheel pump and i dont see these things keeping the same (GPH) by changing the propeller.

I've never used that skimmer, but my experiences with Rio pumps has been terrible. They seem to be very prone to failure. If the one you have works ok, go ahead and use it, but if you do need to replace it, get something similat, but of much better quality, like a Mag.

The needle wheel pumps don't give more flow, it's that they break up the water into fine bubbles better. I'm not really sure how much difference it makes. There are a lot of ways to mix air and water out there.