• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

micro bubble battle

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
Well, truth is, since the design was kind of getting ripped I decided to keep the genius behind it secret – I didn’t think under the circumstances it would come off as complimentary but rather an invitation for a defense. Then again, there’s always implementation and who’s to say I didn’t mis-glue a joint or lose something in my translation/interpretation. I’m pretty sure I remembered teflon tape where I used threaded joints as opposed to glue joints and I can say without question that I’ve had no leaks (or salt deposits indicative of a slow leak that is drying before it shows itself)

I guess step 1 will be to change the input on the Mag and perhaps redirect it. The elbow is there, well, uh, because I thought it was supposed to be. I guess I’d seen other setups when I was researching that used it but now that I think about it, several ideas may have mixed together (happens when you are staring out because there is just SOOO much new information) and the elbow may have been to ensure that the water level could drop as far as possible before the Mag running dry. My guess is this was in a mixing station setup or something similar, ....AND it was like that when I got it. Other than the glass tank with the stock overflow (and the light fixture which I’m still using with some new bulbs) the Mag is literally the only dry good I am still using from the setup I purchased. (wet/dry, return and drain hoses, stand and hood, skimmer, test kits, hydrometer, - all gone – well I still have the HOB bio-wheel in the basement on my QT setup) wow – way too much ancillary info, sorry

Back to it – Step 2 will be to redo the return plumbing to remove the tee and while I’m at it, move the pump away from the fuge waterfall.

Step 3 – try hose for the return

Step 4 – begin to embrace the micro-bubbles as a beautiful bonus to this hobby – perfect tiny little spheres bringing crucial O2 to all who need it

Step 5 – point out the damn annoying tiny spheres that are EVERYWHERE and convince my wife that I need to get a bigger tank – ok, this one still needs work, but I’ll get there

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I say you skip everything and jump to step 5! :cool:

Seriously though, if you have a waterfall effect from the fuge, then that could be where the bubbles are coming from too.

I was going to mention something about the elbow on the pump intake, but somehow forgot it in my last novel here. Take that off, and try to at least spin the pump intake more towards the center of the return chamber of the sump. Aim it more towards the skimmer baffles too if you can.

If you wind up modding the return pvc, I suggest you switch over to flexible tubing which will be easier to run to your bulkhead piping. Not saying you should buy it here, but this is the type of black vinyl tubing I recommend... Click this link. Also on that page you will find barbed ball valves (the one with the big green circle on top) and the ratcheting hose clamps (nylon). The barbed fitting on the valve should fit the proper sized tubing well enough to not even need a clamp (I don't have any on mine) but if you want to use them... these are your best option. Nylon, no metal parts, and good chemical resistance (good for salt water).

Hope that helps.