• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Montipora not extending polyps

I have a superman montipora and a sunset montipora that were doing great until recently. About three weeks ago my superman montipora was one of my fastest growers and than all of a sudden his polyps shrunk in and he has not been the same. Some days he looks about 80% healthy and some days he looks about 40% healthy. Than about a week ago my sunset monti. began doing the same thing. My water paremeters are as follows: alk 8-9, calcium 420-440 and magnesium 1440 - 1500. My temp ranges from 77 - 79 daily and my salinity is 1.025.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Please note that the coral is not bleaching at all so I have some reassurance that whatever the problem is, it is not in the fatal stages yet.

Any help would be appreciated - Jon

I have not had any new additions since my superman monti. began acting up. They only thing that I can think of is that I recently began using Dt's phytoplankton. Most of my coral love the DT's and I can really see a difference. I do not have a phosphate test kit but I do use the brightwell Phos Extract and I change it out every month. I do not have any traces of cyano or hair algea which are the early signs of high phosphate levels. My nitrate levels are zero and always have been.

I am going to blame high phosphates. Just because you don't have algae doesn't mean you don't have high phosphates. Do a large water change.

I am gonna get a phosphate test kit today. Every two weeks I do a 25 gallon water change for my Oceanic 120 and the last water change was completed on Wednesday. I will let you know the outcome of the test results.
Jon

I just tested my phosphates using a red sea test kit and the reading is between 0 - .10. Which is about as low as I can be without a reading of 0.
This is very strange and I am beginning to think that it maybe time to get rid of some of my leather corals. I have two smal frags and one large rasta eather. It sure is ashame that I can not post the frags for free on a for sale forum here.

If you have leathers, I would try running some carbon to see if that helps. I would still do a large water change.

I constantly run 3/4 a cup of carbon and change it out every two weeks when I do a water change. What will a large water change improve considering I just did one a week ago and that did not help either? All of my water parameters are in line and nothing is on the high side at all.

Jon

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon said:
I just tested my phosphates using a red sea test kit and the reading is between 0 - .10. Which is about as low as I can be without a reading of 0.
This is very strange and I am beginning to think that it maybe time to get rid of some of my leather corals. I have two smal frags and one large rasta eather. It sure is ashame that I can not post the frags for free on a for sale forum here.

I would definitely not rule out phosphates. Our hobbyist test KITS are absolutely garbage. The fact that you can actually see phos in your test makes me believe you have high phosphates. I have tested my water numerous times with a couple of kits and come up with zero. Finally I had enough, I knew I had phosphates, but could not tell how much so I finally had my water tested by a phosphate photometer....well, that zero water turned into 2.3! It was almost out of the range of the meter.

I will never test or recommend anybody test with a test kit again. After seeing this, I purchased a photometer on black Friday! Expensive, but for me I think it is a necessity.

I highly recommend you get you water tested by somebody who has one, you may be shocked.

Taz

I use an RODI unit in which I just replaced all of the filters back in August. I was going to take a reading with my TDS meter but the batteries are dead.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I agree with Taz, PO4 test kits are useless. I have a photometer if you want me to test your H2O, I am in monroe 08831.

How long were you feeding the dt's before this started? My friend was usind that food everyday. When he started slacking months later and not keeping up on the feeding routine his corals started to decline and not open very good. But. my first guess would be phosphates, I'd test your ro water for tds. I changed my filters a few years ago and never tested the new water. My tank slowly started getting more and more hair and slime in it. When I finally tested the water the tds was like 50! Replaced filters again and got 0-1 and it fixed the problem. Like everyone said don't go by the test kits def a photometer.

I have a PO4 photometer and a NO3 probe if u need water testing. Make sure your make up water is clean (free of TDS) Use a good salt, and water change as much as you can. Remember to age the new salt water for at least a day before putting it into your system. Good Luck. If you need a hand u can email me.