• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 12" semi cube AIO

This is a 12" x 12" x 9" acrylic cube built for a contest on nano-reef.com that i've been running for a few months, it has a 70w bimini fixture by Hamilton, a Koralia Nano and Maxi-jet 600 as the return pump.

Occupants: 1x Peppermint shrimp
Corals:
Miami Hurricane Chalice
Zombie Eye Chalice
Orange Fungia
2x 2 headed Torches
1 almost dead Frogspawn
1 Acan Enchinata
4 Zoa's
3 Ricordia's

Miami Hurricane
004-8.jpg

Fungia
300.jpg

Zoa's
003-9.jpg

Ricordia
305.jpg

Zombie Eye Chalice
306.jpg

My Acan w/ bryopsis growing well (I pluck it during water changes weekly)
009-5.jpg

Full Tank Shot
010-5.jpg

Looks good.

Two suggestions.
1 Get rid of the bryopsis(sp)(pic6) I would tear it out and try hydrogen peroxide or something or raising your mag. In a nano or any tank it can become terror.
2 Did you think of using one of the rotating wavemakers instead of the locline? Would be less obtrusive.

+1 byropsis is a PITA i battled it for months and months, only way to do it is phosband--hit or miss, or raise magnesium. if anyone knows of another way pppplease share with us. be careful plucking, any floating strands will just regrow on the rock. dip dieing corals in lugols iodine solution. my tank had a mini crash and lugol's saved all my corals.

So far the bryopsis has not left the acan it's attached to which is good since I can't seem to get it off it. I'll have to try raising the Magnesium to see if I can kill it, I just take the coral out of the tank, pull off as much as I can and put the coral back in, generally do it every week or two once it's starting to get long. Hmm, I don't have lugols, would revive coral dip do the same thing?

Buffalowing said:
So far the bryopsis has not left the acan it's attached to which is good since I can't seem to get it off it. I'll have to try raising the Magnesium to see if I can kill it, I just take the coral out of the tank, pull off as much as I can and put the coral back in, generally do it every week or two once it's starting to get long. Hmm, I don't have lugols, would revive coral dip do the same thing?

I tried the pull it out method eventually it beat me....try the hydrogen peroxide after getting as much as possible off use an eye dropper maybe. It can and likely will choke out your coral.

It's growth has slowed considerably now that I have a huge wad of Chaeto in the back chamber of my tank however since I just added my shrimp a week ago I've now got to feed the tank more often so hopefully nitrates & phosphates don't go up, I'm considering adding some chemi-pure elite in just in case for phosphates.

Buffalowing said:

i never tried anything else, so i am not sure..sorry. my tank was on the verge of a crash, i dipped all my corals for 20 mins with lugols, and they all survived.