• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My 5.5g rimless office tank

RECENT FTS:6-20-2011

Digital827.jpg

Hardware:
5.5 gallon de-rimmed AGA tank
AC70 HOB power filter/ fuge(modded)
LED Wholesalers Dimmable PAR38 bulb w/ Ikea desk lamp, reflector removed.
Koralia Nano 240gph powerhead
Heater in fuge

Livestock:

2 small, <1" false percs
2 cerith snails
1 astrea snail
5 blue leg hermits
4 nassarius snails

3 sexy shrimp are on order and should be here tomorrow (6/20/2011)!!!

Yellow tipped torch coral
blue digi frag (just kind of an sps experiment)
kenya tree
green/red zoas
blue/green palys
green striped mushrooms
purple/ blue spotted mushrooms
blue mushrooms
hairy mushroom
GSP
xenia (a little piece to use as a "tank barometer")

Setup:

I modded an Aquaclear 70 HOB powerfilter in order to the following:
Hide the heater and keep it out of the display
Add a bit of flow to the side of the tank opposite the Koralia Nano
Have a HOB fuge space with macro to reduce nitrates/ phosphates & keep PH stable.
Have an easy to access area to hold media.

The tank sits on my desk at work, so it had to be pretty clean looking. I did some masking and painted much of the AC670 black with Kylon Fusion I left the fuge area clear so I could check in on things in that area. It's not easily seen the way the tank sits. The fuge is lit on a reverse light cycle with a 13w 6400K PC light.

Digital824.jpg

The clownfish are likely going to be temporary or at lest the 5.5 gallon tank is. They are tiny right now. Both are about 3/4" long and seem pretty happy in the little tank. Other than the two tiny clowns, I plan to add 3 sexy shrimp. I have them ordered and should be able to pick them up early next week. I may upgrade this to a 10 gallon once I slow down a bit at work. If I do set up a 10 gallon, I plan to build a DIY LED array & I just don't have to time to do that just yet. Maybe once summer is over.

The tank is honestly going to get neglected a bit with weekends away from the office & the occasional days I work from home. I am loving having a tank at work though. My co-workers really seem to enjoy coming by my office to peek in and see new things. One guy is just amazed by the whole "natural filtration" idea and is constantly asking questions. I give him 3-6 months before I am helping him set up a tank of his own.

More oddball pics:
My little office buddy-
IMG_4689.jpg

Overall setup
Digital835.jpg

Digital837.jpg

Great little setup you have there.Wondering if yr having any issues with the sandbed blowing around? when I had a 10 gal I had the aquaclear in the back,not on the side and always had sand blowing away from the front.Cont gd luck on the setup..looks great

Yeah. I'm sure I would have problems if it was stock. I've got the impeller from an AC20 running in there.

If yours has too much flow, you can always trim the impeller down some or remove half the fins. Just be careful to make the cuts evenly so it's not off balance.

howze01

NJRC Member
Such a cool little setup you have there! It's got a nice, clean look. I have a trio of Sexys in my 30g and they are awesome little guys! Get us a pic or tow once they get in there 8)

I had a small snag with the sexy shrimp. The LFS either forgot to include them in the order or the wholesaler didn't ship them. No shrimp for me this week. Anyone seen them locally? I may end up ordering them from liveaquaria. I just hate to pay that much shipping for three shrimp. I don't really need anything else right now.

Anyone making an order anytime soon. If so let me know if you'd be interested in splitting the order & shipping cost.

howze01

NJRC Member
Not sure where you are but Ocean Gallery II has them. You could also order them from a place called NanoAquatic shop. They are over on Manhattan Reefs. I am getting an order from them this Friday and they are delivering it to Jersey City for free. Not sure if it is too late to order from them though, he said he was going to place the order soon. He had them for $12 and I am pretty sure OGII sells them for $15.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have sexy shrimp and bumblebee shrimp in our 12g, and they are great. Also take a look at a porcelin crab, small and non aggressive.

howze01

NJRC Member
mnat said:
We have sexy shrimp and bumblebee shrimp in our 12g, and they are great. Also take a look at a porcelin crab, small and non aggressive.
I got a really nice little blue porcelain crab. Hadn't seen him since I got him. Saw just his carapace in the pistol shrimps burrow the other day. Guess he died and the pistol couldn't resist!

Figured I'd post a little update since the tank has been up for a year...

I've had some challenges with keeping this at work. In the past year, I moved the tank home for a few months because I of took an extended leave from work. I lost a couple things in the process, but overall it fared pretty well.

I bought a pom pom crab about 8 months ago. I thought I lost him soon after adding him. I never saw him after the first few days. When I moved the tank to work last month, I had some rock scrubbing to due because the tank got neglected quite a bit during my leave. I scrubbed the rocks in a five gallon bucket and dumped the water into the mop sink the next morning. When I made the dump out rolled my long lost Pom Pom crab. Alive and well and with both anemones still there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344279468.279663.jpg

A year after I set the tank up, almost to the day I finally added the originally intended inhabitants. Sexy shrimp!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344279533.303235.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344279549.198553.jpg

People in my office really like the tank and several come by everyday to check on things, watch the shrimp, etc...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344279667.699364.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1344279722.329610.jpg