• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My Mr. Coral Experience

For those of you who have heard mixed reviews on MrCoral.com, I'd like to share my experience with you. My brother and I ordered 25 frags from him in the beginning of December. (some were for other people too). The selection was great on his site. We mostly ordered zoas and palythoas. Order shipped in a few days, and was right on time the next day. Packaging could have been better as far as heat packs go. He used a "Hot Hands" instead of a Uni-heat pack. The way Hot Hands are designed, they need air to stay hot. All of his bags were very thick, and tied well. There was some water in the bottom of the box, which soaked the Hot Hands. Needless to say, it was a cold day, and my frags were down into the low 60's upon arrival. We floated them for some time, trying to slowly bring the temperature up. We then drip acclimated, dipped, and quarantined the frags for a few days. After the 2nd day in the tank, some of the zoas began to open up. The Palys responded much quicker than the zoas. After about a week, some started looking not so healthy, so we dipped again, and placed them back into the tank. I believe the stress from the cold weather did them in. I photographed everyone that wasn't opening and contacted Sonny from Mr. Corals. He was great with customer service and advised me that if there were any issues, he'd take care of them. Out of 25 frags, and 2 weeks after shipping, we only ended up with 4 that didn't ever open. Given the cold water, I'd say this isn't so bad.
So, I took some pics, sent them to Sonny, and he offered me a replacement on my next order. My brother and I actually decided to drive the 3 hours to the store, to pick our replacements out of the tanks. Brian in the store, honored Sonny's replacement after seeing the email correspondence we brought with us, and the 4 pics on our camera. Though the $10 selection in-store, was not as diverse as the online store, we were able to find replacements, and purchased a few more items to make the trip worth it. They were very kind, and nothing like the horror stories I've read, but I don't know how different the experience would've been had we not driven down there. It would be hard to say that I truly believe that all the frags on the website are WYSIWYG, some of mine look much smaller or have a different amount of heads on it. Keep in mind though, for anyone who is looking for diversity in corals, this is definitely a way to get many things different than what's offered in your local stores. You just need to be patient and grow your frags out. I think for the diversity aspect of it, this was a good choice, though when I order again, it'll definitely be in warmer weather. Hope this helps anyone thinking about ordering.
One bit of advice, if you're a stickler for exact matches...... right click/save each frag you order so that you have his picture to compare to what you get. it'll help you to identify and be sure you got a 10 head frag and not a 5.

kevin

NJRC Member
I shall share my experience.

I won a coral pack back in August from him on another forum. I called him, he said to e-mail him about it so he could send it out. I wait a week, nothing. Responds to me after few weeks. Says the corals are healing. Wait another few weeks and nothing. Then I send him another email and he acts like he doesn't know who I am. Then he says the corals have died & he'll send me out something else after christmas. Nope, got nothing. By this time I'm just fed up. I understand it's free, but I've gotten the run around 50 times. I wrote him a letter about how his business communication/practice is terrible. That was a few weeks ago but he never replied.

The only time he would be quick to e-mail me is when I talked about him on a forum. "I don't like you bashing my name". Well, then get some better customer service & I would be glad not to share my opinion on how you handle situations.

I thought they were getting out of the retail business and selling "space" from fraggers? I recall reading something like this a while back - where they sectioned off portions of the store so that prolific fraggers could sell their frags in their store (in exchange for hosting these frags, sonny would get a flat monthly fee...aka rent).. It was a novel concept and I was curious how that all ended up.

Oh well. Good for you that you brought the email correspondence and pics etc. driving 3 hrs to a store is not something I would want to do to resolve an issue on 4 frags...but glad it worked out for you. I guess the prices were ideal, but i'd rather drive 3 hrs to all parts of NJ to pick/purchase up frags from other reefers.

by the way - there is a members only area that has a retail experience discussion. I'm sure mr. coral was discussed in the past. I'd link it but non-members can't access that area.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Now I’m not a very bright person, but I think I can figure this one out. So you insulted him in another post and now you’ve done it again…..and what was it you are expecting? Let me scratch my head on this one…….

santa-naughty-list-1.png

kevin

NJRC Member
Now I’m not a very bright person, but I think I can figure this one out. So you insulted him in another post and now you’ve done it again…..and what was it you are expecting? Let me scratch my head on this one…….

Lol.
I just said I haven't received my frag pack in the thread I won it in. That I've pretty much had given up.
That was my "insult"

I'm not expecting anything anymore. I don't want to give him my business.

howze01

NJRC Member
He obviously just put that contest up there as a promotion for himself. He never had any intention of actually coming through with the prizes. Glad I never ordered from him before and I sure as heck wouldn't in the future. Yes, it was free but own up to your word and actually do what you say you will. I'm glad things worked out for you absoluteshawn but from most others it's nothing but bad news.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
All I can say is that I will never order from him. I have read to many complaints here and on other forums.

There was a section for consignment fraggers. That was actually some of the nicer stuff I grabbed. Trust me, it came down to principle. I know that I only had 4 doa's, but I knew it would be easier to confront the issue face to face then to receive the "run around" thru email. He's very busy, the store was packed, the phones were ringing, and his computer screen had a huge number of orders on it, so I can see how the run around, and forgetfullness of your customers is possible. I just wasn't going to let it happen to me. In all.... 4 replacements, for $50 in fuel, $18 in tolls, and lunch and coffee.... not worth it.... but sometimes principle wins over cost effectiveness. All in all, they treated me very fairly.

I thought they were getting out of the retail business and selling "space" from fraggers? I recall reading something like this a while back - where they sectioned off portions of the store so that prolific fraggers could sell their frags in their store (in exchange for hosting these frags, sonny would get a flat monthly fee...aka rent).. It was a novel concept and I was curious how that all ended up.

Oh well. Good for you that you brought the email correspondence and pics etc. driving 3 hrs to a store is not something I would want to do to resolve an issue on 4 frags...but glad it worked out for you. I guess the prices were ideal, but i'd rather drive 3 hrs to all parts of NJ to pick/purchase up frags from other reefers.

by the way - there is a members only area that has a retail experience discussion. I'm sure mr. coral was discussed in the past. I'd link it but non-members can't access that area.

Now that I've been on here I see that there's an excellent network of fellow fraggers. I've found a few locally in my area that I've gotten to know and trust. Craigslist only seemed to bring the crazies with high retail prices and the same old stuff. I really went to Mr. Coral as an alternative for some different zoas and palys I've never come across locally. I must say I've gotten a few nice pieces, though time will tell if they grow out or not. It's great to know that all you folks are out here and hopefully this hobby can thrive with diversity at a reasonable cost through all of us. I've stumbled from a 180 reef, down to a nano after a move into a smaller home, and I'm itching to get back into it again with a bigger one!