• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my roommate / Snowflake moray

Ok My Roommate decided that my tank needed a Snowflake moray. Thats is ok with me as i really like them. but i have a open top, no lid on my tank. Has anyone ever been able to keep one in the tank with an open top?

I was away for the weekend and came home last night to see "Bob" as my roommate has named him swimming around my Rock work looking for where he will make his tunnel. He put him in Friday night and so far he's stayed in.

We have now had the talk. He didn't think it would be a problem as he new i liked the snowflake morray. He saw one that was priced well and decided to get it for me. I just wish he had asked first.

A top is a good idea for all fish. Eels especially are escape artists. I've had my moray eel for about 4 months now, and he's got through the teeth of my overflow and down into my sump twice.

From some discussion I have had with people that have been keeping eels for a while....Here is my take. Most eels if provided with the proper living conditions (rock work) and feed properly will not try to escape. I have had a Zebra Moray for about 8 months. Never tried anything. I am getting a white eyed moray in a couple weeks. As long as they are happy they don't seem to try and carpet surf.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My eel gets really excited when we feed and will swims around the tank (and sometimes after a feeding looking for leftovers). I wouldn't want to see him in an uncovered tank. He'd go over the edge for sure. He doesn't swim a lot, but wouldn't want to trust it. He's been in the overflow box before, but the netting kept him tank side until he swam back out. He was much smaller then. I doubt the whole eel would even FIT in the overflow box at this point.

Of course my tank is a 65 not a 300. That's a WHOLE different ball game.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I too wanted a snowflake moray when I setup my 75g. It does have a canopy but the back is open with two fans. Do you cover this up or leave it? I didn't cover it becasue I figured the MH lights would get the water temp way to hot so left it open.

Re: zebra moray

vangoghfish said:
Hey Rbu1, do you have any fish with your zebra, if so, what type and size, and how large is your tank?

I have put a lot of fish in with my zebra. He does not seem to bother anyone. Even smaller fish.