• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My tank keeps heating up

My 58 gallon Oceanic has always stayed at around 80 degrees. Than yesterday I added a hydor koralia #2 power head and the temperature kept raising today. I turned it down twice and it kept getting warmer. Right now the temp. is 86 and I have unplugged the heater. What can this be from??? Would a hydor koralia power head really add this much heat? Or could it be a coincidence and maybe my heater is giving up on me. It is a fairly new stealth heater so I don't think it is the problem. My home temp. is 76 and we are not currently running the heater.

Any advice would be appreciated - Jon

All that I run is a T5 Tek light that put out 234 watts. This should produce no heat at all and has not for the past month. This problem started yesterday.

Koralia generally don't produce much heat, unless you have have a busted one. Could be either one or the other, my guess is you will have to use trial or error.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A 76* house may have been enough of a catalyst to drive your tank temps up. What had your house temp been running before the tank temp spike? The warmer your house the warmer your tank will run. How long has your tank been up? What pump are you using for a return pump? Do you have a fan over your sump?

What kind of thermometer are you using?

Also, perhaps it IS the heater afterall.

When one of my former Koralias pooped on me, it did run very hot. I pulled it immediately.

And lastly, even T5s produce heat, especially if they're run without any fans.

Thanks for the input. My power head is not hot at all. My household temperature has not spiked at all lately and my tank is now down to 84.5 degrees. I am going to do a water change today and this should also cool the temperature. From there I will monitor everything. If I need to use my heater to raise the temperature than I will plug it back in and will bring the temp. up on it very slowly. My heater is a 200 watt stealth an is about 6 months old. I am very thankful that my tank is only a month old and only have 1 fish to look after.

BTW I had one of those electronic Coralife thermometers...it totally crapped out and started reading a good 10 degrees too cool...thus 80 was reading at 68...I didn't realize it was the thermometer until I was doing doing my upgrade.

i have a digi therm.. I also rely on a second basic floating therm also.. digi is more likely to go haywire so i have a backup always