• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Need help identifying this Acro, please

Yesterday I bought some Acro frags from a fellow reefer, but unfortunately he didn't remember what this one was called. Can anybody help me identify it, please?

Thanks so much in advance.

SPS9-30-07.1.jpg

Acro10-1-07.2.jpg

Acro10-1-07.1.jpg

---
Wendy

jazzsam said:
I don't know what it is called but I have one that lookes exactly like it and I would like to know also!

Does it irk you as much as it does me not knowing what it is? :eek:

I've been looking at countless websites and pictures today, and after talking to a friend of mine (Tom), I think he may be on to something:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=2623

Of course my colors aren't quite like that (yet), but in person it does resemble it somewhat.

What do you think? ???

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
jazzsam said:
I don't know what it is called but I have one that lookes exactly like it and I would like to know also!

I've been looking at countless websites and pictures today, and after talking to a friend of mine (Tom), I think he may be on to something:

Of course my colors aren't quite like that (yet), but in person it does resemble it somewhat.

What do you think? ???

---
Wendy
I think I want a frag of that ;D
p_39108.jpg

sinkingbeach said:
JerseyWendy said:
jazzsam said:

What do you think? ???

---
Wendy
I think I want a frag of that ;D
p_39108.jpg

ROFLMAO

Well, it that's what it turns out to be, let mine grow out a wee bit, and then you're more than welcome to one. ;)

---
Wendy

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Growth pattern is completely different, from what I can tell.

Yours looks more like an aculeus to me. The real key is in the corelites. Look at the way the polyps come out of yours, and the way the tips seem elongated, much unlike the stubby tips of the one in the picture.

And yeah, I'd take a frag of that too!

We'd be lucky to narrow this down to one of 300 species (could possibly exclude 60 or 70 species). There's no way to even get close to a species ID from the photos.

I usually don't comment on species ID either Chris because I think there's a lot more to it then trying to match photos which I think is a bad way to go and leaves way to much room for error.

How or what method do you recommend when trying to ID corals like this for the hobbyist?

Carlo

Carden Wallace recently put up a key for the species online. She is arguably the premiere expert on the taxonomy of Acropora. Unfortunately, without large colonies with normal growth forms IDs become difficult. Using a live coral instead of a skeleton makes IDs very difficult. Having a live frag of an Acropora makes any kind of ID all but impossible--there's no way to seperate hundreds of species in such a scenario.

cj

Again thank you all for your input. :)

I think I'll just call it "Acropora Wendy", and won't drive myself crazy figuring out which one it could be. It's a very pretty frag, the pictures really don't do it justice. Of course I'll go and check out your link now. ;D

---
Wendy