• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need help in suggestion of sandbed or no sandbed

Olivier, I put sand into my new tank as well. Just enough sand to reach the top of the bottom trim. This way I don't see the nastiest at the edge of the sand. I Mix my sand once or twice every 2 weeks right before my water change. I also run a filter sock at this time in the sump to make sure I catch as many particles as possible. I don't depend on my sand to harbor any real nitrification bacteria. I mix and turn it over and the water column is a little cloudy after. I get corals that Extend their polyps like crazy during this process and it looks a mess but 2 hrs later the water is fine and the sand is sparkling.

thank you for your replies and help. I will follow your suggestion. I will mix my sand everytime i do water change.

Olivier said:
thank you for your replies and help. I will follow your suggestion. I will mix my sand everytime i do water change.

Cool, you will like it. I like that I also get to mixup the sand and I get a lot of fish poop and tang poop logs out that way. Since your mixing it often I don't think the sand has a chance to get those cryptic zones with crazy gasses or anything that ppl are always scared of nuking their tank. Mixing the sand makes it look white new and fresh. I bought a lot of reefcleaners in the current group buy and i hope that they will do well.