• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

need help: red bug and re-aqualscape

malulu

NJRC Member
latest update:

i finally have time to do this (thanks to peter-fisheye, dan-danthemannj, dan-roadking05 to let me borrow some big/hug containers to ease this painful task).

- due to cati-ani unit hookup, and regenerating issues, it set me back for 2+ days.
- moved everything out of the display tank.
- put everything back in the display tank (without any Archo corals)
- many left over extra corals, they all went to some place - FREE.
- i keep the Archo in a 15 gals container, and have a PC light shining on top of it, with a power head, small heater, treat with Interceptor, everything seems fine.
- after 6 hours, remove all treated water, add in 80% new water with carbon... and to be safe, add them to a 20 gals container with more water, goto sleep...

the fun begin:

- in the middle of the night, a loud noise woke me up!! it is the sound of thunder!! and realized the whole house was dark, and the fish tank UPS keep beeping due to no electricity!!

- run to basement, sure enough, since it have no UPS for that circuit, it is showing as 68 degree!! having no idea how long the electricity was out and going will be for how long... been up and keep checking the temperature for almost 3 hours up till 5am!! the temp drop down to 63 degree! decided to add in a NEW bigger heater in case the power go back up, it would be back to normal sooner. set it at 78 degree. (goto sleep due to too tied!!)

- next day 10am, walk in basement, smell cooked corals!!! the water is 87 degree!! every corals was WHITE!!!
:eek: :eek:

end of the story!!
current plan, going to knock on the door that i gave away some of my Archo before, and hopefully can get few frags back...
:(

Dave, sorry to hear it.

I lost alot of Acros to when I moved them to my holding tank to treat for redbugs.

It wasn't a heater but for some reason my corals where RTNing and STNing like crazy. I lost about half a 5gallon bucket in Acros.

Hope it doesn't keep you down.

-mike.

malulu

NJRC Member
thx for the kind words, i still have all my other stuffs, only lost all the Acros (thx for correcting the spelling).

i think the problem i have was: the temp change from 78 down to 63, then back to 87 within 12 hours period... too much for the Arcos to handle.

malulu

NJRC Member
update:

since this red-bug incident, i am a bit paranoia...

about three weeks ago, i got some new acro frags from red sand, and i soak them all in interceptor with high-dosage... then also dip in fresh water for 5 secs...

ouch! next day, found out, half of them - RIP!! :eek:
after checking around (Renee said, most coral don't like fresh water... :(

this is my plan from this point on:
- float fresh salt water in bag (in the sump) to get to the same temperature
- take the salt water out, pour in a container, add it with interceptor
- soak corals for 10 mins (splash with turkey blaster on them once in a while)
- rinse with tank water, then put them in the tank

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
malulu said:
update:

since this red-bug incident, i am a bit paranoia...

about three weeks ago, i got some new acro frags from red sand, and i soak them all in interceptor with high-dosage... then also dip in fresh water for 5 secs...

ouch! next day, found out, half of them - RIP!! :eek:
after checking around (Renee said, most coral don't like fresh water... :(

this is my plan from this point on:
- float fresh salt water in bag (in the sump) to get to the same temperature
- take the salt water out, pour in a container, add it with interceptor
- soak corals for 10 mins (splash with turkey blaster on them once in a while)
- rinse with tank water, then put them in the tank

Dave

I don't know if the freshwater did it. I lost 2 of the 4 acros That I got that night. It may have been due to the diffs in temp when Feng moved them from the broken tank to the temporary one.

Bob

malulu

NJRC Member
Bob,
the 4 frags you got from me was the next day after the RIP...

all those 4 that i gave you were good at that time, and they are still good in my tank as of now (knock on wood - knock knock knock ).
::)

let me know which TWO, i can frag them again for you.
;)

magic said:
Dave

I don't know if the freshwater did it. I lost 2 of the 4 acros That I got that night. It may have been due to the diffs in temp when Feng moved them from the broken tank to the temporary one.

Bob

Looked in my 29g tank today and saw my 1st little red bugs today :( is there any 1 thats willing to sell some interceptor do to me being new to site im lacking posts for me to post in sales please help out. Thanks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm in Jackson/East Brunswick. I'm sure you can find it closer though.

ill give it a week see if any 1 else thats closer that can help out if not ill drive where ever need bebefore it gets out of hand thnx for help Phyl

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can actually order them fairly easily on-line. I can dig the URL up for you, if you need it

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
HERE is the online place we ordered it from. No questions asked. The tablets showed up in about 1 week.

HERE is a link to a thread with a discussion on interceptor and where to get it.

HTH.

malulu

NJRC Member
i still have some enough to mix with 300g worth of water (it were for the 400g), and since my treatmentsss ended *early*... so no need for it any more... you can have it free.
let me know.
thx

Wow David. I just read everything, and I'm so sorry you had that happen to you. :( Knock on wood, ever since I had my red bug incident at the end of last year, I haven't had any more issues. The Interceptor sure did the job. I did lose my pods, but I replenished with the tigger pods, and in no time I had them crawling all over the place again (the pods that is).

---
Wendy

malulu

NJRC Member
Wendy,

thanks for the kind words...

i have few big piece of SPS corals about 6x8 size... and some with great colors!!

now i have to restart over again with those tiny smaller pieces...
:(

well, look at the good side, i now have a lots of rooms to get more corals...
;)